Elantra alternator belt pulley grinding when reversing hard

This is a '96 Elantra that I just changed the motor on. Everything works OK except there is so little clearance between the belt pulleys and the fender
well that when reversing hard, the alternator pulley contacts the frame and sends a few sparks flying. My first approach is to bang the inside of the fenderwell to provide a little clearance. Any ideas?
Actually it's a '95 Elantra if that makes a difference.
What engine did you install? What was in it originally?
The engine I installed was from a '94 Elantra. Except for cosmetics (like the spark plug access cover)the engine bolted to the transmission and to the engine/transmission mounts without a problem. It was a very tight fit between the pulleys and the inner fender well before. Ever hear of this problem?
Haven't heard of it. And you're right, the 1992-1995 Elantras are VERY tight. I've not heard of this issue before and don't know of any design changes of significance. My first thought is that the engine isn't fully bolted onto the trans or that something isn't lined up or installed correctly.
Bang the inside of the fenderwell?
Troll meter = 5/10
sbiddle wrote:

Oops! the engine is a 1.8 liter and the car is a '95 Elantra GSL model