ELANTRA BRAKES

I have an almost new Elantra with ABS. Sometimes, especially on a very rough road, the brakes seem to suddenly stop working. The wheels seem to spin freely, then suddenly grab again. Occasionally the pedal seems
to go to the floor and the car just doesn't stop, then the brakes cut in.
Is this a problem with the ABS? Is it a known problem with this model? Is it made worse by rough roads?
Thanks
Barry
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com.au wrote:

Spin or skid? Are you referring to braking (ABS) or accelleration (TCS)?

That doesn't sound normal. Have you checked the brake fluid level?

I've never heard of this before, but perhaps Hyundaitech has. Rough roads should not affect braking, other than perhaps causing a bit more slippage. ABS should maintain traction and steering control, but on really loose and/or slippery surfaces, ABS (any ABS system) will result in longer stopping distances than properly applied non-ABS brakes. That's one of the reasons that I didn't get the ABS/TCS package.
This could be normal ABS operation. On rough pavement, a wheel could momentarily stop turning and cause ABS to engage. The thing to remember is that when the ABS engages (you'll be able to feel it in the brake pedal, and can probably hear it as well), you should continue to press harder on the brake pedal. If the ABS engages under light braking and you don't depress the pedal any further because the ABS has engaged, you'll never be able to slow the vehicle any faster than you're currently slowing. But you can still press harder and slow the vehicle more, especially if the ABS is only modulating one wheel. It will continue its work and modulate that wheel and will begin modulating other wheels as necessary. It's now been about a year and a half since I've moved into an ABS vehicle and that's one of the things to which I've had to adjust.
If you're not sure, you should definitely take it to your local dealer, make sure they are able to duplicate what you're experiencing (even if this means riding with them), and let them determine what's actually occurring.