ELANTRA COOLING SYSTEM TEMP. RISE

Hyundai Elantra 98, 1,8 lt, DOHC, 114,000 miles Yesterday, driving to my job I noticed that temp gage rised almost to 3/4 but never reached the red zone, then
went back to normal. This happened three times in a 20 miles trip. Then, at night, I saw it normal with no changes. (Trip back home) I checked the coolant level and leaks and it is OK. I buyed this car 2-1/2 years ago and it had 81,000 miles. I know the engine was in fact overheated because I opened the engine hood and saw some small vapors coming from the coolant reservoir (but never as to become really serious)
I'm thinking of taking the following actions: 1. Make a system flush and put new coolant 2. Check the radiator cap and replace if needed 3. Check the Thermostat, replace if needed 4. Check the radiator fan if it workin properly
Any other ideas or suggestions will be appreciated
Atte: Jos Rojas, San Jos, Costa Rica
--
jrojasimi

jrojasimi wrote:

never reached the red zone, then went back to normal. This happened three times in a 20 miles trip.

years ago and it had 81,000 miles. I know the engine was in fact overheated because I opened the engine hood and saw some small vapors coming from the coolant reservoir (but never as to become really serious)

That sounds like a good plan.
Agree, it is a good plan.
But in my world, I would make your #3 my #1. MOST likely it is a thermostat.
Tom Wenndt