Elantra Lawsuit?

Page 1 of 2
I got a letter in the mail about a lawsuit for all 2004-2006 Elantra owners in the mail. Whats that all about? Is there a problem with my car I don't
know about?

Not to be rude, but read the letter. I hadn't heard about it (my elantra's older) but read it and let us know, or at least post any links or case #s so that the rest of us can read it for ourselves.

It's a Class Action Suit dealing with the Passenger Classification System for the front passenger seat.
As suggested by the response above mine, read the letter
--
Andrew D. Sisson
LG VX8100
Joe Hodgenson wrote:

If it's the same one I got, it's about a malfunction with the passenger's side seat sensor for the airbags. In some cases, it will not recognize smaller adults, particularly if they don't sit squarely in the seat. Hyundai is offering a re-programming solution, but it may cause problems with child seats not being recognized as such. There is apparently no ideal solution to the issue.
I plan to object to the exhorbitant 1.2 million dollar attorney's fees sought in the suit.
Brian Nystrom wrote:

Good for you. I keep wondering when people will wake up and smell the coffee and realize that the only winners in a class action are the lawyers.
Matt
It was an odd letter/agreement.
The lawyers get more than a million dollars.
And you the consumer? Hyundai will reprogram your sensor for free. Which they have been doing. I think the class action suit specifies a loaner car during the service. And nothing else that they weren't already doing - there was a recall that updated the sensor software....
re: air bag phenomena
I am herein soliciting comment in light of alleged problem with air bag sensor in Elantras.
Situation: A driver of a 2003 Accent was hit fairly hard (on passenger side front headlight/fender) by another car when turning left (Accent had the green arrow).
The air-bags in Accent did NOT come-out.
The Accent driver may not have been seat-belt-fastened.
If driver not seat-belted, then the air-bags can't/don't inflate (?).
Please clue-me (give me ideas) about why air-bags did not pop-out.
Is there such a relation between seatbelt & air-bag?

You should not run around usenet trying to sound like a lawyer - or what you think a lawyer would sound like. Why don't you take your petty pursuits to a web site, instead of here?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Quoted text - it's an amazing thing. It lends context to a post. For me, I have no arrangement with Hyundai. I was simply commenting on a foolish post.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Is the above an acceptable comment/suggestion for this generally harmonious, polite news group?"
If I publicly flame/cuss-out this poster in this thread, could anybody here blame me?

you
I find it perfectly acceptable.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 18:49:35 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

I don't object to flames but I would point out that the sympathy here is not for lawyers. If you look at the decision that this thread was about the lawyers got a million for getting Hyundai to do something they were already doing. They get a million and get to sanctimoniously tell us how wonderfull they are while they tack a nice "lawyer tax" on all the cars Hyundai sells. The consumer get's screwed as usual. Most of us are smart enough to figure it out.
Robert Cohen wrote:

Robert, It's best to put on abestos underwear before posting to UseNet. Also use good newsreader software that comes with a handy killfile button for all the bozo's. <G>

Robert Cohen wrote:

Unless the car was equipped with side impact-airbags (I don't think they're available on the Accent), there shouldn't have been an airbag deployment in a straight side impact. The frontal airbags do no good in a side impact and they're designed not deploy in such a situation.
Seatbelts MUST be worn in airbag-equipped cars. Airbags are not called a "SUPPLMENTAL Restraint System" for nothing. There are large, obnoxious stickers on the visor to warm people of that and it's spelled out clearly in the owner's manual. There's a friggin' annoying light on the dash that warns you, too. How much notification do people need??? If the driver was not wearing a seatbelt, it would improve the gene pool if the accident prevents him/her from reproducing.

Annoying light???? The '06 Sonata has the most persistent, annoy you to death buzzer system when you don't put on the seat belts that I have ever heard in a car.

re: good answers, all
my inquiries have been addressed adequately
i subscribe to the n.g. sentiment about the legal profession, as a law school dropout myself
is the person dead, or were they injured heavily? lil more info would help. might not been hard enough hit to activate them....

re: person's wreck injury
happened approx two years ago: got banged on face, bled some, seems ok now
sounds like it wassnt enough force to trigger the bags if thats the only injuries that happened which is good. whats there to sue about????