Elantra Oil Capacity (again)

did the first oil change on my '05 GT and, using the manual as a guide, overfilled it by dumping in 4+ qts.) Anyway I was wondering if anyone has ever had any word from Hyundai on whether the manual is wrong, or possibly, is the dipstick wrong, IOW, is it really supposed to take 4.25 US Qts? It just baffles me that this could have been wrong in the manual for so long (it seems this problem dates back several model years) and they haven't corrected it. Right now my oil level is registering about 1/4 inch over full and I decided to just leave it, as it didn't seem to have any negative effect on the engine - no evidence of foaming, etc, but is that too overfilled? On my Jetta there were warnings that it could damage the catalytic converter if overfilled. I was also questioning the viscocity chart in the manual as opposed to the webtech chart - it seems the manual says go with 5/30, but the webtech site recommends 10/40 if the temps are warmer (I live in northern NY and used 5/30 for this change, but am wondering about next time when the temps will probably (hopefully) be in the 70-80 range)
snipped-for-privacy@gisco.net wrote:

You should always check the dipstick as you add the new oil. Once you reach the full line, start the car, let it run for ~30 seconds, then shut it off and let the oil drain back into the crankcase for a few minutes. Check the oil level, then top it off if necessary.

That may be what it takes to fill a dry engine. You'll never get all the oil out of an engine once it's been filled, but there shouldn't be a large disparity.

I can't say for sure, but if it was my car, I'd drain some of it out.

5W-30 should be fine at those temps. That's what I run year round and it will sometimes get into the 90's here.
Don't sweat the additional oil. It's not enough to make a difference.

My 2002 says the same thing BUT it is wrong !!
They amended that to 3.25, I have free oil changes for life but I asked the service guy and he said the info in the shop had been updated...
Good luck