elantra vs accent

I am pondering my next vehicle. My 99 Accent doesn't owe me anything and I could go to another one but I am also looking at an Elantra based on more creature comfort and more capacity. What I was wondering is how the Elantra holds up compared to the Accent. Given it's towing capacity is the frame and running gear signifcantly stiffer so the car handles rough roads better? In short, is it worth the couple of thousand to move up? Are there onthre issues I need to think about as I drive around 500 mi/ week on business?

thanks, nothermark

nothermark

Reply to
nothermark

That's what I did, although I was moving up from and Excel. To say the difference is huge would be an understatement.

What issues are you having with the Accent on rough roads? For that matter, what constitutes a "rough road" in your neck of the woods? So far, my '04 Elantra feels solid on all surfaces.

Depending on the current rebates and the exact model you choose, the difference may be smaller than that. It was in my case in purchasing a GT vs. an Accent with as close to comparable equipment as possible.

I would think that fuel economy would top your list. The Elantra with a

5 speed will get mid-30's on the highway @ 65 mph. The Accent should get 2-3 mpg more under the same conditions. In terms of comfort, the Elantra is quite good, but I don't know how it compares it to an Accent.
Reply to
Brian Nystrom

The Elantra comes with standard air & power windows, both options in the Accent. Considering a base GLS Elantra is under $2k more than an Accent, I think it is the way to go. The 2.0L motor provides considerably better power than the 1.6L in the Accent & gas mileage is only a few miles per gallon less. The Elantra also has considerably more interior room & cargo space, a big issue if you're using it for any family purposes & not just a commuter car. The Elantra is just as sturdy the as the Accent in its construction. Plenty of them are used as taxi cabs in South Korea. I wouldn't think twice about stepping up to an Elantra over an Accent! Financing over 60 months your payments won't be that much more for what you are getting in my opinion. Best of luck!

Reply to
John W

hyundaitech made a comment about handling rough roads that I took to be part of why I get so many wheel alignments. ;-) I don't have problem with handling and I really drive the car IYKWIM. One of the things aboutthe Elantra that caught my eye was the towing capacity is quite high, better than the SUV's. To get that I'm thinking they need a stiff body and substantial running gear. I see that as good. What I was fishing for is a comment on how well they hold up if they are used to tow small trailers of stuff like camping gear or small boats. I'm also looking for bigger wheels than the Accent because of potholes.

low 30's would make me very happy. most of what I do is pop on and off expressways all day.

Reply to
nothermark