Elantra Wheel Bearing

Hi Folks,

I had posted earlier about a problem with my sister's 99 Elantra's rear drum but it turned out that it was the right front wheel bearing that was the problem. She had the bearing replaced 6 months ago under warranty which she currently is out of. Reviewing the price that was charged to Hyundai, it came to $141.28 which I'm willing to pay since I was unsuccessful last time I tried at removing the lower ball joint and doing the work myself. The problem I have is that they are sticking it to the end consumer and want $360 for the same job they charged Hyundai $140 for. I've called Hyundai to see if they will come through with any discount but I don't think anything will happen. The dealer wants $60 if I do nothing but I'm having a big time with that since I told them what was wrong and it hasn't been a year since the repair. Do I have any other options?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Nick

Reply to
Nick

I have the same problem with, of all things, dental insurance. Due to gum problems, I get my teeth cleaned 3 times a yeas, 2 times are covered, 1 time not. I have to pay around $150, the insurance company gets billed around $110 after their discount. Not only is it unfair, I think it ought to be illegal. However I have had no luck getting anything changed, so I just bend over once a year...let me know if you figure something out.

Dan

Reply to
Dan K

I had the front wheel bearing replaced on my 2001 Elantra and it cost me

185.00 (canuks) all work done by the dealer.

I think your dealer is screwing you,

Reply to
Finn

That's a pretty good price. Around here wheel bearings for most cars go for right around $100 (US) in the aftermarket.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

There are two sides to this story. Hyundai decides what they?ll pay for parts. Hyundai decides what they?ll pay for the dealer?s labor rate. Hyundai decides how many labor hours they?ll pay for a particular job. It wasn?t that the dealer charged Hyundai $140 so much as that?s all Hyundai would pay. This process is actually standard for any manufacturer I have experience with.

When the consumer pays for repairs, the dealer (or any other shop) can charge as they see fit. While I don?t know your location, which will affect pricing, $360 doesn?t seem out of line for dealer pricing for a front hub bearing. The amount of the $60 that?s reasonable, I don?t know. Just because a customer says a component is faulty doesn?t mean it?s so. Unless you release the dealership of the responsibility for diagnosis, they?ll still need to check and verify that the noise is coming from the hub bearing. In this case, I?d think it would involve a test drive and checking the car on a lift, which shouldn?t be a lot of time.

Shop around a little for prices on this job. Then decide whether it?s worth trying to negotiate with the dealer. The dealer would rather have money for repair than the $60. Speak to the service manager and let him know your issues:

  1. You?d like a lower price, and
  2. You think is too much for diagnosis considering you advised the dealer of the location of the problem. Having already shopped around, you?ll have a good idea of the price you need to hear to have the dealer complete the work.
Reply to
Hyundaitech