Elantra Wheel Bearing

Hi Folks,
    I had posted earlier about a problem with my sister's 99 Elantra's rear drum but it turned out that it was the right front
wheel bearing that was the problem. She had the bearing replaced 6 months ago under warranty which she currently is out of. Reviewing the price that was charged to Hyundai, it came to $141.28 which I'm willing to pay since I was unsuccessful last time I tried at removing the lower ball joint and doing the work myself. The problem I have is that they are sticking it to the end consumer and want $360 for the same job they charged Hyundai $140 for. I've called Hyundai to see if they will come through with any discount but I don't think anything will happen. The dealer wants $60 if I do nothing but I'm having a big time with that since I told them what was wrong and it hasn't been a year since the repair. Do I have any other options?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Nick

I have the same problem with, of all things, dental insurance. Due to gum problems, I get my teeth cleaned 3 times a yeas, 2 times are covered, 1 time not. I have to pay around $150, the insurance company gets billed around $110 after their discount. Not only is it unfair, I think it ought to be illegal. However I have had no luck getting anything changed, so I just bend over once a year...let me know if you figure something out.
Dan
I had the front wheel bearing replaced on my 2001 Elantra and it cost me 185.00 (canuks) all work done by the dealer.
I think your dealer is screwing you,

That's a pretty good price. Around here wheel bearings for most cars go for right around $100 (US) in the aftermarket.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
"Nick" wrote:

There are two sides to this story. Hyundai decides what theyll pay for parts. Hyundai decides what theyll pay for the dealers labor rate. Hyundai decides how many labor hours theyll pay for a particular job. It wasnt that the dealer charged Hyundai $140 so much as thats all Hyundai would pay. This process is actually standard for any manufacturer I have experience with.
When the consumer pays for repairs, the dealer (or any other shop) can charge as they see fit. While I dont know your location, which will affect pricing, $360 doesnt seem out of line for dealer pricing for a front hub bearing. The amount of the $60 thats reasonable, I dont know. Just because a customer says a component is faulty doesnt mean its so. Unless you release the dealership of the responsibility for diagnosis, theyll still need to check and verify that the noise is coming from the hub bearing. In this case, Id think it would involve a test drive and checking the car on a lift, which shouldnt be a lot of time.
Shop around a little for prices on this job. Then decide whether its worth trying to negotiate with the dealer. The dealer would rather have money for repair than the $60. Speak to the service manager and let him know your issues: 1. Youd like a lower price, and 2. You think $60 is too much for diagnosis considering you advised the dealer of the location of the problem. Having already shopped around, youll have a good idea of the price you need to hear to have the dealer complete the work.