Elantra Windshield Wiper Problem

Threaded View

I have an '02 Elantra that my son takes to college.  Just before he left
today (college is 262 miles away) he reported his passenger-side wiper is
not working (driver's works fine).

Indeed, I was able to move it freely back and forth - something I should not
be able to do (and something the driver's does not do).

He was in a hurry to leave, but will be back home in a few days (Fall
break).  The assembly does not look that easy to access, and have no idea
what I will find.

Ideas??

Tom Wenndt

Re: Elantra Windshield Wiper Problem

Tom, if the drivers side works correctly and the passengers side moves
freely, it sounds like the linkage is broken tying both wipers to the
motor assembly.  As far as a fix, I would take it to the dealership as I
do not believe this is something you want to attempt to repair on your
own.

Re: Elantra Windshield Wiper Problem

Why not? The linkage is VERY simple and it's accessible through the
grill at the base of the windshield. Wiper repairs are generally an easy
DIY job.

Re: Elantra Windshield Wiper Problem

Brian, do you have this year and model car?

Tom, then by all means...go for it!  I agree that on some vehicles it may
be easy to access but you cannot generalize with the way cars are being
built today.

Take it apart, if you can, and worst case you take it to the dealer to
finish what you were unable to complete.

Re: Elantra Windshield Wiper Problem

I have an '04 Elantra. Prior to that, I had a '94 Excel.

That's true, but I don't have to in this case.

It's not a complex job. All the instructions necessary are available
free online at www.hmaservice.com. Sign up for a free account and you
have full access to the factory service manuals, TSBs, etc.

Re: Elantra Windshield Wiper Problem

Thanx for your posts, guys.

I did sign up for an HMA service account.  The schematics are of a TERRIBLE
quality.  I would do better just guessing.  And I cannot find any
step-by-step instructions.

But I'm off on Friday.  Hopefully the weather will allow me to check it
over.

BTW, if you are the kind that tries to fix things first, then brings the
pieces to the mechanic, I'll bet you the mechanic just loves you.  In fact,
there is probably a special (much higher) hourly rate for your kindness.

Tom Wenndt

Re: Elantra Windshield Wiper Problem

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 16:11:55 -0500, "Rev. Tom Wenndt"

Probably just the hold down nut on the
wiper arm, you just pop open the little
plastic cover to access the nut, it is probably
spinning on the shaft.

Re: Elantra Windshield Wiper Problem

The wipers on my 95 Elantra quit  IT was a linkage problem  the actuall
repair time was probably 1/2 hour. The linkage uses plastic bushings THEY
break & the linkage falls off You have to buy the complete arm not just
the bushing
So instead of spending $3 like i used to do on my Dodge van  you have to
spend around $80.  Coulod also be a loose bolt as sugested but you won't
know until you take it apart

Re: Elantra Windshield Wiper Problem

That's what junkyards are for. I found a linkage for my old Excel for
five bucks.