Elantra Windshield Wiper Problem

I have an '02 Elantra that my son takes to college. Just before he left today (college is 262 miles away) he reported his passenger-side wiper is not working (driver's works fine).

Indeed, I was able to move it freely back and forth - something I should not be able to do (and something the driver's does not do).

He was in a hurry to leave, but will be back home in a few days (Fall break). The assembly does not look that easy to access, and have no idea what I will find.

Ideas??

Tom Wenndt

Tom, if the drivers side works correctly and the passengers side moves freely, it sounds like the linkage is broken tying both wipers to the motor assembly. As far as a fix, I would take it to the dealership as I do not believe this is something you want to attempt to repair on your own.

cableguy3 wrote:

Why not? The linkage is VERY simple and it's accessible through the grill at the base of the windshield. Wiper repairs are generally an easy DIY job.

Brian, do you have this year and model car?

Tom, then by all means...go for it! I agree that on some vehicles it may be easy to access but you cannot generalize with the way cars are being built today.

Take it apart, if you can, and worst case you take it to the dealer to finish what you were unable to complete.

cableguy3 wrote:

I have an '04 Elantra. Prior to that, I had a '94 Excel.

That's true, but I don't have to in this case.

It's not a complex job. All the instructions necessary are available free online at www.hmaservice.com. Sign up for a free account and you have full access to the factory service manuals, TSBs, etc.

Thanx for your posts, guys.

I did sign up for an HMA service account. The schematics are of a TERRIBLE quality. I would do better just guessing. And I cannot find any step-by-step instructions.

But I'm off on Friday. Hopefully the weather will allow me to check it over.

BTW, if you are the kind that tries to fix things first, then brings the pieces to the mechanic, I'll bet you the mechanic just loves you. In fact, there is probably a special (much higher) hourly rate for your kindness.

Tom Wenndt

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 16:11:55 -0500, "Rev. Tom Wenndt"

Probably just the hold down nut on the wiper arm, you just pop open the little plastic cover to access the nut, it is probably spinning on the shaft.

The wipers on my 95 Elantra quit IT was a linkage problem the actuall repair time was probably 1/2 hour. The linkage uses plastic bushings THEY break & the linkage falls off You have to buy the complete arm not just the bushing So instead of spending $3 like i used to do on my Dodge van you have to spend around $80. Coulod also be a loose bolt as sugested but you won't know until you take it apart

sqdancerLynn wrote:

That's what junkyards are for. I found a linkage for my old Excel for five bucks.