engine cut out without warning at 100km p/h

Hi
had a problem with my car dying while i was driving at around 100km p/h. a second before it died there was a high pitched noise, then bang, it just stopped. All the warning lights came on at that moment,
then as i tried the accelerator, there was a horrible grinding noise, same thing when i pushed the brake. i got it off the road, and had a look all seemed fine... the coolant and oil where all fine and when i tried to restart the car, it seemed normal. i drove it home without any trouble. the only weird thing it was doing was turing on my high beam lights when the indicators where on and i turned the steering wheel. very strange....
i recently had the head gasket replaced... could this be related to having that work done?? no idea whats going on..
very worried.. if any one could please help me out?
thanks
Thread archive:
It sounds like your lamp switch is shorted, but I doubt that has anything to do with the stalling.
It's hard to say what caused the problem without looking at the car. Even then, it may still be difficult. Your description has all the markings of an engine failure-- high pitched noise, bang noise, grinding. But if that were the case, it wouldn't be expected to restart and behave normally.

Those symptoms sound very worrisome. It may be nothing more than your wiring muddled up from the recent repair work, but parts of it sound mechanical.
You should get it thoroughly checked out before driving it again. You may not be so lucky next time. Have your belts (including timing belt) and hoses checked, and read the spark plugs. Also have the codes read, I'm sure some faults were recorded during that episode.
-
Bob