Engine Died (98 Hyundai Tiburon)

I recently came into the posession of a 98 Hyundai Tiburon FX and to my demise the timing belt slipped and it caused a bent valve or more. I was quoted a $2,600 repair for the existing engine. Now whether or not that sounds about right, I figured it would probably be close to putting a different, rebuilt engine into it. I bought the car for $3,700 and it?s in excellent condition with the exception of the engine.

1) Is it worth getting a rebuilt engine for it rather than the repair?

2)How much might I expect to pay for the 2.0L 4Cyl 16Valve in-line engine and where would be a good place to look for such a thing?

Thank you in advance to anyone with answers or suggestions!

Reply to
jbecker

Depends on cost and warranty. Check them both and decide from that. You can buy engines from on-line sources if you have a mechinic that willd o the install or if you can.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Whether you should replace the entire engine or just repair the one you have probably depends on the mileage on the current engine. If it's under

100k, you're probably better repairing. After that, you've got some thinking to do about how long you'd like to keep the car, etc.

As far as pricing and location, ask the shop that quoted you the repairs to also quote a reman engine.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Obviously... Any other insightful comments?

Reply to
surely100

If it is so obvious, the OP would not have asked would he?

Any other sarcastic comments?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Check out Junk Yards, it's the same engine used on the Elantra, so for sure there are some semi-new ones badly rear-ended but with the engine intact.

Reply to
Vic Hyu Garcia