Engine Died (98 Hyundai Tiburon)

I recently came into the posession of a 98 Hyundai Tiburon FX and to my demise the timing belt slipped and it caused a bent valve or more. I was quoted a $2,600 repair for the existing engine. Now whether or
not that sounds about right, I figured it would probably be close to putting a different, rebuilt engine into it. I bought the car for $3,700 and it’s in excellent condition with the exception of the engine.
1) Is it worth getting a rebuilt engine for it rather than the repair?
2)How much might I expect to pay for the 2.0L 4Cyl 16Valve in-line engine and where would be a good place to look for such a thing?
Thank you in advance to anyone with answers or suggestions!
Thread archive:
βœ–

Depends on cost and warranty. Check them both and decide from that. You can buy engines from on-line sources if you have a mechinic that willd o the install or if you can.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Obviously... Any other insightful comments?
Add pictures here
βœ–

If it is so obvious, the OP would not have asked would he?
Any other sarcastic comments?
Add pictures here
βœ–
Whether you should replace the entire engine or just repair the one you have probably depends on the mileage on the current engine. If it's under 100k, you're probably better repairing. After that, you've got some thinking to do about how long you'd like to keep the car, etc.
As far as pricing and location, ask the shop that quoted you the repairs to also quote a reman engine.
βœ–
jbecker wrote:

sure there are some semi-new ones badly rear-ended but with the engine intact.
Add pictures here
βœ–