engine light went on-code said engine cooling sensor-is this dangerous?

my engine light went on-the mechanic hooked up computer-said the engine coolant sensor needs replacement....is this dangerous? Is this expensive...it is a 2002
Santa Fe v6 with 69,000 miles????
This all depends on the accuracy of what the mechanic is telling you.
If it indeed is the temperature sensor, then your worst consequence is like ly to be poor fuel economy.
On the other hand, coolant temperature sensor codes can be set for some oth er, more potentially damaging issues.
If your coolant is low, the sensor won't read the coolant temperature prope rly. Your engine could overheat and you wouldn't know it. Being an aluminu m engine, it's very sensitive to overheating.
A stuck shut thermostat can cause a temperature sensor code to set. Again, this can cause overheating, potentially damaging the engine.
Of course the good news is that the thermostat or temperature sensor aren't particularly expensive to replace. If your coolant is low, you'll need to investigate why, and the cost of repair will depend on the cause of the lo w coolant level.
The reason I'm questioning the mechanic's judgment is that you've elaborate d what the mechanic said the issue was and then asked for a price. Mechanic s get paid to work on cars. If he knows you need a coolant temperature sens or, why didn't he give you a price for replacing it?
hyundaitech ha spiegato il 23/04/2015 :
cut

maybe he gave a price, but op wants to know if it's correct or not. we spent lots of time to prepare budgets for customers who just wanted to know if they spent the right amount in another shop, or go to another shop with our budget just to obtain a discount. now we ask 10% of budget to give printed budgets, and if they repair the car we give back this amount as a deposit.

You charge a percentage to give a written estimate? Wow. Seems like bad business to me.