Engine quits working

I have a 1995 Hyundai Sonata 6 cyl - it started where the engine would intermittently turn over but not start. If I left it for a couple of minutes it would then turn over and start. Recently it has been taking the car at least 30-45 minutes for the engine to cool down before the car will start. It turns over like its going to start, but it doesn?t get that final firing up.

I asked the dealership the cause and he said he had never heard of the problem before. Anyone have any ideas? Hopefully will be a ?cheap? fix - car?s not worth couple of hundred dollars. I must say though - bought this car for $1,800 2 years ago, have put 45,000 miles on it and it?s the first mechanical thing that has gone wrong with it!! It now has 124,000 on it!!

Reply to
minfergie

Since you say you must wait for the car to cool down, I presume it stops running when you're driving.

If it stops running all the sudden, you're probably looking at an issue with the distributor. There's an optical sensor in the distributor which serves as the cam/crank sensor.

If it gradually loses power, sputters, and eventually won't run, you're probably looking at a fuel pump problem. When they're worn, they begin to overheat and won't pump properly. Keeping a full tank of gas often minimizes this problem because the gas cools the pump.

Reply to
hyundaitech

First of all let me say that I'm not familiar with your '95 6 cyl engine.

I had a similar condition with my son's Hyundai Scoupe and it turned out to be a $16 coolant temp sensor.

screwtape iii

"hyundaitech2" wrote: > Since you say you must wait for the car to cool down, I > presume it stops > running when you're driving. > > If it stops running all the sudden, you're probably looking at > an issue > with the distributor. There's an optical sensor in the > distributor which > serves as the cam/crank sensor. > > If it gradually loses power, sputters, and eventually won't > run, you're > probably looking at a fuel pump problem. When they're worn, > they begin to > overheat and won't pump properly. Keeping a full tank of gas > often > minimizes this problem because the gas cools the pump.

I don?t loose power once I?m up and running - it?s too weird. I took it to another trusted mechanic yesterday and he tested EVERYTHING and found that it was running at 50 psi (fuel) instead of 39psi. Once we got it up and running and waited until it heated up before we turned it off again, he popped the fuel line to relieve the pressure and voila it started first time each time. He said he was 98% certain it was the fuel pressure regulator (a $60 part). He ordered it and will install Saturday when it comes in.

Reply to
minfergie

"screwtape iii4" wrote: > minfergie wrote: > > > I have a 1995 Hyundai Sonata 6 cyl - it started where the > engine would > > intermittently turn over but not start. If I left it for a > couple of > > minutes it would then turn over and start. Recently it has > been > > taking the car at least 30-45 minutes for the engine to cool > down > > before the car will start. It turns over like its going to > start, but > > it doesn?t get that final firing up. > > > > I asked the dealership the cause and he said he had never > heard of the > > problem before. Anyone have any ideas? Hopefully will be a > ?cheap? > > fix - car?s not worth couple of hundred dollars. I must say > though - > > bought this car for $1,800 2 years ago, have put 45,000 > miles on it > > and it?s the first mechanical thing that has gone wrong with > it!! It > > now has 124,000 on it!! > > First of all let me say that I'm not familiar with your '95 6 > cyl > engine. > > I had a similar condition with my son's Hyundai Scoupe and it > turned > out to be a $16 coolant temp sensor. > >

> ad/6fa7d9e74c17cb23/ff96a8fe8ee4ab5d?q=sensor+scoupe&rnum=11&h > l=en#ff96a > 8fe8ee4ab5d

I also got a check engine light and when tested it is the coolent temp sensor. Maybe I need to get this changed out to?

Reply to
minfergie

You probably do need to replace the coolant temp sensor. Also check to be sure there are good wire connections at the sensor and that the thermostat opens and closes properly.

Reply to
hyundaitech

"screwtape iii4" wrote: > minfergie wrote: > > > I have a 1995 Hyundai Sonata 6 cyl - it started where the > engine would > > intermittently turn over but not start. If I left it for a > couple of > > minutes it would then turn over and start. Recently it has > been > > taking the car at least 30-45 minutes for the engine to cool > down > > before the car will start. It turns over like its going to > start, but > > it doesn?t get that final firing up. > > > > I asked the dealership the cause and he said he had never > heard of the > > problem before. Anyone have any ideas? Hopefully will be a > ?cheap? > > fix - car?s not worth couple of hundred dollars. I must say > though - > > bought this car for $1,800 2 years ago, have put 45,000 > miles on it > > and it?s the first mechanical thing that has gone wrong with > it!! It > > now has 124,000 on it!! > > First of all let me say that I'm not familiar with your '95 6 > cyl > engine. > > I had a similar condition with my son's Hyundai Scoupe and it > turned > out to be a $16 coolant temp sensor. > >

> ad/6fa7d9e74c17cb23/ff96a8fe8ee4ab5d?q=sensor+scoupe&rnum=11&h > l=en#ff96a > 8fe8ee4ab5d

Is this something I can change out myself or do I need a mechanic?

Reply to
minfergie

You can change this yourself. It's a sensor that screws into the thermostat housing. It'll be the one with two pins for the connector that attaches to it.

Reply to
hyundaitech