Entourage transmission whine

My 2007 Entourage has developed a whine only in fourth gear. The noise gets louder as the throttle pedal is pressed and diminishes when the pedal is
released. Any Ideas?
Cheers,
--
Criticism is easy; achievement is difficult W.S. Churchill

On Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:35:11 PM UTC-4, Indrek wrote:

ts

We don't get into the nuts and bolts of the innards, so I do not know what specific item is loaded in 4th gear that isn't loaded at other times. But whatever that item is, it's likely that the bearing supporting it is worn, causing a gear whine.
If you're still within the warranty period, take it to the dealer for servi ce. If you're out, I'd say keep driving until performance symptoms arise. I've seen whiny transmissions continue driving normally for years. Of cou rse, I've seen the opposite, too.
Did you ever find out the actual problem? I am having the exact same 4th gear whine. Let me know. Thanks

I never did anything about it. The whine is still there and has not got any worse.
A couple of times a year I also get a hard up-shift from second to third after exiting from an interstate. This has been happening since the van was new. Again I have done nothing about it because it is so infrequent and has not got any worse.
Cheers,
Indrek Aavisto
--

"Indrek" wrote in message

I never did anything about it. The whine is still there and has not got any worse.
A couple of times a year I also get a hard up-shift from second to third after exiting from an interstate. This has been happening since the van was new. Again I have done nothing about it because it is so infrequent and has not got any worse.
Cheers,
Indrek Aavisto
***
I had a whine in a transmission, and it turned out to be a bad bearing. Once replaced, whine was gone forever. L
--
Criticism is easy; achievement is difficult W.S. Churchill

On 5/10/2014 7:57 PM, Larry wrote:

Had a whine and it was still whining when I scrapped the car 140,000 miles later. Problem is, it can also let go in the next few miles. ou just don't know.