Erratic idle

Hi all!

I just bought a 1998 Elantra from my sister in-law. It runs rough at idle, even sometimes sticks at 3K rpm. It also has some rough running when you let off the gas a bit then accelerate again. Do you know what could be wrong? I have only messed with carbed engines. So my terminology may be wrong here. Could it be the throttle position sensor? There so many freaking sensor thingies, I have NFI. :) Please help! Thanks!

Shawn

1989 Hyundai Elantra 1978 Ford Fairmont, L6
Reply to
SHAWN

The tps is one possibility. Is the check enging lamp on? If so, the first thing to do is retrieve the codes. It also sounds like you may have a misfire issue.

Reply to
hyundaitech

The light isnt on, but I did replace the TPS and it runs 3746574 times better. I will replace the spark plugs and get new wires for it, which might help the misfire(since it isnt perfectly running yet). I didnt know it could pull that good. :) The thing that sucks is the price on some of these stupid ass sensors. Its not like my old '78 ford where I can afford to replace stuff since its dirt cheap. ($85 for whole new cap/rotor/distributor/ignition module)

You say to get retrieve codes. In the future if something is wrong(or could be still) where would I find a list of codes? I have seen those code readers at autozone for like $99.00 or so. Are they any good?

Shawn

1998 Hyundai Elantra 1978 Ford Fairmont, L6
Reply to
SHAWN

well man autozone will read the codes for free ... and thier obdII reader has sort descriptions about the problem ... and more information about the specific codes can be found at

^^ hyundai webtch site you will see mentioned in herehope this helps for the future ... btw have i said how much i love both the hyundaitech guy who answers ?'s here ... and that webtech site later jerry

SHAWN wrote:

Reply to
LameBMX

I had a Fairmont with the 200 once. Reman transmission installed for $400. Couldn't beat it.

Reply to
hyundaitech