ETAC Module prob in 02 hyundai

My girlfriend has an 02 Hyundai XG350 that is having electrical problems. Started out with having the electric windows slide down by themselves while the car was shut off. Or the doors would lock and unlock by themselves. She would start the car in the morning afternoon and night after it sat for hours, no problems until recently. We drove the car to a restaurant, came out and the battery was dead.

I was able to jump start the car, and it charged back up. The car then sat for a day without operation, next time going to start it started right away. I took it to an autoparts store to check the battery. They put a load tester on it and said it was fine. I mentioned the recent events that cause for concern. Someone suggested it might be a small computer glitch that was causing an excessive draw on the battery while at rest. Said to disconnect the battery from the terminals for a half hour. When put back on this would reset the computer. Tried this but did not solve the problem. Girlfriend mentioned that she had a new alternator and battery put in by Hyundai dealer

3 months ago. She dropped the car off and rented a car for commuting. Hoping that this was a warranty related issue and would be resolved soon.

Hyundai called and said that she had to pay them 175.00 for a diagnosis. We decided to take a risk thinking that they would fix it. They called back and said that it was the ETAC module for the keyless entry system. The module experienced a failure and was draining the battery while the car is shut off. It would take a few days for the part to come in cost of part is $415.00 and labor $155.00. Between diagnosing,parts and labor and rental car fees she was looking at close to a $1000.00. She isn't in a position right now to aford this so I put a battery disconnect switch on it.

Headache seemed to be taken care of until yesterday when she left the switch connected all day and then started again for a short drive and shut it off. This killed the battery. Tried jumping it with a jump box and also my truck. Interior and panel lights came on but engine could not turn over. Getting another battery is still cheaper than the other costs but I would like to have a solution to right the problem totally.

Any comments or input would really be appreciated.

Thankyou

Reply to
arrowmaker

I ran into something similar and posted a new thread. If your could gather your support on what all has happened and contact the Hyundai customer service hotline. The person I spoke with was Angie at

1-800-633-5151 ext. 54234. They will give you a case number and start an investigation for you.

Good luck

Dave

Reply to
ufmbagrad

I appreciate your reply and may have to use that customer service number myself. As of now to update you on what the situation with us is. We had to have Hyundai go ahead and do the ETAC module replacement work last month. The problem seemed to have been solved until recently this past weekend. I went to start the car and ran into the similiar symptoms.

  1. Put the key in the ignition and turned it, instrument panel lit up and flashers turned on by themselves.
  2. No response from starter. She was able to start the car later in the day on the first try.
  3. Went to the store, came out after an hour or so and the electric windows went down by themselves while she had been inside. When she tried to restart the car was hesitant on the first couple tries.
  4. Now she's got a rental car again since we had it towed to the dealership to follow up on the ETAC replacement that had been done last month. I would like to think that they will resolve the problem for free seing that work done a month ago should be warranted. But I have yet to hear any feed back on it.
  5. Thankyou for resp>I ran into something similar and posted a new thread. If your could
Reply to
arrowmaker via CarKB.com