FINAL update on 2005ElantraGT Brakes (?)

Sorry this is long. Well it seems it is never final with this dealer. Friday afternoon my wifes car was ready. The entire week was one excuse after another. The parts were in Monday, car will be done Tuesday. Tuesday was too hot. It was around 90 degrees. When I called Wednesday I was told by someone else that the part just came in. Car should be ready thursday. Theursday was told the car was done, BUT they were waiting for someone specific to road test it. Thursday night was told to come get it Friday morning. We told them to wait until after work Friday. My wife picked it up Friday after work. The paperwork says they replaced master cylinder and proportioning valves...road tested 35 miles. The brakes are as low as they were the day we brought them in. They do seem to stop in the same relative position each time you step on the brakes..which is a slight improvement...but they are so low it's not funny...and even though I realize that this years car has relatively low brakes...this is too low. Basically the pedal has to be pumped up when you first start the car, then it is semi OK for awhile. I will not be going back to this dealer for service which is lousy because they are the most convenient. I want to drive the car again...but I am leaning towards complaining to the company. I am just not happy. This is obviously a really bad service department. Why? Becuase when i first brought the car in they returned it saying it was fine, but i could use rear brake pads...which they were willing to replace for $275. i declined and did them myself....but they still had 50% life even though they told me 15%...so I wasted $40 and my labor. The brakes were the same and i wrote a letter to service telling them so. They said to bring the car back in. I bring it back in and then they tell me it needs a master cylinder and the car is unsafe to drive (as they say in their new commercial...DUH!). At least two weeks to get the part..I think more, I've lost track of the days)...and the car still feels the same. I am going to complain for sure, I may also bring it to my regular mechanic and pay him to check it out. I want an honest expert opinion. If I'm caray, then so be it...but those brakes are much lower than they used to be. My wife and son both agree..so I guess the whole family is nuts! Hyundaitech...I appreciate all your help and info around here...what do you suggest I do next? (And yes, I want to hear all you other great folks opinios too!)

Reply to
jtees4

Call Hyundai customer assistance and let them know that you're dissatisfied with your present dealer and that you feel the car is unsafe to drive. Explain that you don't want to return to this dealer anymore. Chances are you and they will agree on a dealer to take the car to and they'll inform the dealer in advance that you'll be coming in. This way the dealer you take the car to will know it's a special case and will likely treat it as such.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I figured that was the answer. I just wanted a couple of days to catch my breath before persuing it again. Thanks again for your imput and help. Is there a way to guage how far a pedal should go down before doing anything? Is it as simple as a measurement? Just wondering. Now that I have three Elantras in the family...I want to be able to have a service department I can trust.The 07 is good so far. My only complaint is I do not like the feel of the steering, I know it is some kind of assisted steering, but I'll get used to that. I think the 03 is still my favorite. I did the waterpump and belts a couple of weeks ago, cleaned it up and gave it to my son. Only 38K at 4 years. Not bad. Now I just need a battery, I guess I was lucky to get 4 years out of the original based on reading I've done. Don't want him to get stuck. I think I read I can buy any 24F battery, which is a little better than the original. Thanks again!

Reply to
jtees4

wrote:

Sounds good. I will check it out. I have never been to AutoZone but there are a few around here. Thanks.

Reply to
jtees4

If you don't have an account at

now is a good time to get one. There are several specifications regarding your brake pedal that can be found in the specifications section of the brake area of the shop manual. I won't post them here because it's significant enough that I have copyright concerns. If you have any question about the interpretation of any of the specifications, repost.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Actaually I do, but I didn't even think of looking there. I will tomorrow..thanks.

Reply to
jtees4

Hyundaitech...great info. I just looked at it. I think I understand most of the measurements. I will try to do some measuring tonight when I have the car home. I am sure the pedal does not fit into those measurements at all. This will give me some ammunition with hyundai. Thanks so much. i will certainly let you know what happens and what actual measurements i get.

Reply to
jtees4