First Entourage Complaint

Already I would like to put a piece of lead in the head of the person resposible for designing and approving the emergency brake pedal in the new Entourage.
It is the old style floor pedal, which I actually like better than the pull-handle type. But when you open the drivers door, it is the first thing that you see. It sticks out about 4 inches past the bottom of the dash. I have driven the van twice and hit the pedal by accident 3 times already getting in or out. All 3 times were enough to trigger the warning system, which is more annoying than the seatbelt chime in the '06 Sonata!!
I might just remove that pedal, or design my own and install it.
Eric
Eric G. wrote:

This van was designed by Kia, right? I think I read that Hyundai was just rebadging it.
Matt
The XG is pretty much the same. About 50% of the XG's I enter, I kick the parking brake on when I'm getting in.

Why does the XG have a PB pedal? That has to be even worse!!
Eric

KIA definitely had a hand in it, but to what extent I really am not sure. I'm fairly sure that Hyundai changed the body a little, unless the '07 KIA will look the same. The '05's and '06's really don't look the same.
Eric
Matt Whiting wrote:

The Entourage I looked at in FL had the manufacturers plate on the drivers door jamb that said "Manufactured by Kia".
'I might just remove that pedal, or design my own and install it. Eric'
REPLY: How about neatly cutting off the part that sticks out too much with a sawzall or simular ? Then, go to the store and get something rubber to go over the end .
Dave in Lake Villa wrote:

In some states that would fail inspection, assuming it was noticed.
- Mooron
How about neatly cutting off the part that sticks out too much with a sawzall or simular ? Then, go to the store and get something rubber to go over the end . In some states that would fail inspection, assuming it was noticed. - Mooron
REPLY: Even if it was still fully functional ? Seems to me that would be their only concern.
Dave in Lake Villa wrote:

Messing with safety equipment is a big problem. I know New Jersey makes a big deal out the pedals and will fail a car just because the rubber is missing.
- Mooron
'Messing with safety equipment is a big problem. I know New Jersey makes a big deal out the pedals and will fail a car just because the rubber is missing. - Mooron'
REPLY: Then maybe the OP could swing by his local Testing Station and ask them if he could slightly improvise the parking brake pedal arm so long as he leaves it fully functioning . (I think he could modify it somewhat so it still looks factory and not cause a red-flag) . On my 2002 SantaFe, since im over 6'3" , I moved both driver and passenger seats way back on the rails and bolted them into place so they dont budge in case of an accident ; they never said anything about that and it must have looked obvious what i did .
Have you seen where the EB is located in the new 06 Civic? They positioned it so that it's in contact with you right knee (the worst design I have ever seen in any car yet a Honda). While this is annoying, it could be worse.
Nick