First Hyundia repair

Needed a repair for the first time on any Hyundai I've owned. The rear brake pad was corroded in place and would not retract properly. Pads are not covered past 12 months (mine is 19 months, 33,000 miles) so I had to pay. I thought it was the caliper not releasing, but the caliper retracted just fine.

Dealer blames it on "New England Weather". Maybe, but IMO, it should not have corroded in place that fast on a daily driven car. I can see it the car sat for weeks at a time but there is hardly a day this car does not move.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Interesting. What Hyundai do you have? I put rear pads on my 06 Spectra a couple of months ago and they were both working ok. No slush here though. No rain either :(

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Afraid the Dealer is right, my wife 02 Elantra spend 7 good years in Florida, only have to replace the battery, plus normal maintenance, then we loaned it to our in-law, drove the car from Tampa to Hanover, NH; all fine, she used it there for 2 years, one and a half winters. She returned it to us ..... need to replace: Battery, radiator, rims, tires, and the bottom of the car is falling from salt rust...... Yup, nasty weather you guys have in New England, now, the seafood is GREAT, most people are good too (as long as you are NOT near Boston).

Reply to
Vic RR Garcia

"Paul in Houston TX" wrote

I had an '06 Sonata that I traded at 67,000 and original brakes Now have a '10 Sonata with 32,000 and the corroded pad.

We do get our share of rain and salted roads, but they do in Korea too. The mechanic said they get a lot of them so maybe some different material or shielding is in order.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ed, if you remembe,r recently I had my 07 Santa Fe in for brakes as the left rear had corroded and was dragging the pad all the way through to the metal. It too was contributed to NE weather. Prior to the Santa Fe my 96 GJC w/190K never corroded. Any my '01 original PT Cruiser with 96K still has the ORIGINAL brakes. Just FYI.

Reply to
bobmct