First problem - 2006 Elantra brakes

For over a year now my Elantra has run flawlessly, started every time. I've tolerated the 65mph vibration plague, the 21mpg in town, the slow 1-

2 gear shifting automatic, skipping cd's, because it just seems to be a good basic but cheap car, and I saved several thousand over the Corolla or Civic I was initially going to buy. Also wound up buying my wife a '07 Tucson a few months later after I bought mine, for a really good deal. First Hyundai's.

But now I'm getting concerned about the future. Took it in to the dealer for it's second oil change and to check a clicking sound that was coming from the rear brake area. It has 5300 miles on it. After a couple of hours shopping I went back to check on the car. The service person told me the rear brakes were worn out, and it would be $287.50 to fix them, as the 1 year warranty had run out.

After a low-key but very serious discussion of what the heck are brakes doing wearing out at 5000 miles, would I be doing this every 5000 miles, is it normal, then management consulted, no situation change. I told them forget it, put the car back together, and I was going to write Hyundai. I did get the oil changed though at least.

I've rarely used the emergency brake in the flatland here, it doesn't seem tight or draggy, and I don't do any drifting as I'm an old fart. :) Monday I'm going to take it to a garage nearby and ask them to evaluate and if cheaper than the dealer, fix the brakes. Any suggestion on what brand/type of shoes to use that might last longer? Also is it Hyundai of America I write to, any specific address?

I'm concerned for the future as my previous three Toyotas and Honda's, all had over 50,000 miles on them(two over 80,000) and I never had to replace any brakes, only batteries and one repair between the three. I know I've had a long run of very good luck with virtually no car problems, and was hoping it would continue with the Hyundai's.

Thanks for any info!

Reply to
unkadunk

I've got a 2003 Elantra GLS with almost 70k miles on it and I still have not needed a brake job, so there is definitely something wrong with your situation. Sounds like you didn't buy the car new ( ? ) Any chance it was abused before you got it? I'd be interested to know what your local garage says.

Reply to
Victek

If you wore out brakes in 5300 miles, something is wrong. Aside from asking for $287.50, did they mention a problem?

Brake wear is dependent on use, not miles, but I've never heard of them going that fast unless they are severely abused or there is a mechanical problem, such as not releasing the calipers properly. While the pads (wear items) may be technically out of warranty, it there is a mechanical reason that the brakes wore prematurely, that is probably covered. I'd sit down again with the service manager and maybe the service manager's boss and see if you can get a better response on the diagnostics. If they are just doing a routine brake job under these circumstances, you are not getting proper diagnostics, IMO.

Even though you did not use the parking brake often, that does not mean it cannot cause a problem. It may have been mis-adjusted or sticking from the factory. Was it checked? Also, non-use can cause it to stick too after the cables get gunked up over time.

To have the pads replaced and not check and find the real cause is just a waste of money. Finding the actual cause may also save you money if it shows to be a defect in the system.

From my own experience, when I lived in the city, it was common to replace brakes in 10,000 miles. After moving to a rural area, they can last me over

50,000 miles. I can drive 26 miles to work and hit the brakes just three or four times as opposed to every block in the city.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Bought new with less than 20 miles on it.

Only thing they told me was that the brakes had worn out, and wear items and the labor were not covered after a year. Not sure what parts/repair were involved, guess I should have asked, but was kind of in shock.

Parking brake used some, maybe twenty - thirty times 'ish'. Feels like a parking brake should, no tension until a few clicks, then it grabs nicely.

Can't imagine the mechanic etc. looking at almost brand new brakes that are shot and not wondering about it, looking for a cause, etc., but they aren't admitting to anything. I might try arguing with them one more time, but since that didn't work the first time, might rather argue with someone much higher up.

Reply to
unkadunk

If you do take it to another mechanic, BRING the camera along!

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Elantras are prone to excessive rear brake pad wear (rear disk brake models only), but your situation is extreme and indicates a problem. One thing I found with my own car is that the pads fit too tightly in the calipers and wouldn't return properly. To remove them, I literally had to knock them out with a hammer and punch. When I replaced them at ~45k miles, the new pads fit excessively tightly until I filed the ears on the pads to fit the calipers. When you have your second mechanic look at the car, mention this to him. I would also complain to Hyundai, as they're likely to help you whether the 12 mo. warranty has expired or not, since this indicates a problem that has existed on the car since it was new and would have be covered under the warranty if you had known about it.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

I will bring the camera, will try to get there tomorrow.

Rears are drums.

Reply to
unkadunk

The labor guide I looked at says 1.2 hrs to replace the rear brake shoes.

Then the cost of the shoes need to be added in.

Old_Timer

Reply to
Old_Timer

I've seen two common problems cause rear brake wear on Elantras:

  1. Binding parking brake cables. This seems to have lessened since about the 2003 model.

  1. Pad backing plates rusting on cars that are driven infrequently or little. This causes them to stick in the calipers and wear.

Based on the model year and mileage, I'd suspect the issue is #2 above. There are a couple ways to combat this issue. You could lubricate the shims where the pads contact (with disc brake lube), but this won't necessarily keep the rust away. Or you could grind the backing plates just a little so they don't fit quite so tight in the shims, but this could cause a tick or knock when the brakes are applied, or could cause other noises to develop when braking.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

"hyundaitech" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Thanks for the info.

A pain in the butt/wallet for a 5300 mile car. I don't like to pay for new and get used car problems.

Reply to
unkadunk

Good news, after more phone calls to Hyundai of America I'm going to get the brake job under warranty. Thanks to all for your help!

Reply to
unkadunk

Good news, but you should have been spared all that hassle.

Reply to
irwell

Stuff happens. The point is that Hyundai is making it right.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

What was the condition of the front brake pads?

If the front pads are nearly worn out too, it points to bad driving habits.

If the front pads are almost like new, it points to a defect in the rear brake system*. Your dealer should never have questioned it.

*Or,,, far less likely, the car was run with the parking brake engaged, for whatever reason. -

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins

Bob Adkins wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Front pads are like new. My driving habits would be classified by other drivers as 'get out of the way slowpoke'. Never found myself driving with the parking brake on, and it always had a lot of 'free play' before engaging, even when new.

Just got home with the new brakes and pulled on parking brake, very little play, the brakes start engaging very quickly. Sounds like sandpaper rubbing coming to a stop now, I'm gonna be real gentle and hopefully they'll break in right.

Worst part was having to stare at/smell the Azera's in the showroom for a couple of hours. Almost makes me want to say the heck with gas mileage. Almost. :)

Reply to
unkadunk

I had a similar situation on my wifes 05 Elantra GT. Long story short, I went in for a super low brake pedal. They said rear brakes. I said doubt it. I went home and replaced rear pads myself. They were not worn. I still haver the originals for proof. I wrote letter to Hyundai and went back to dealer. They gave me new (7 miles!) Sonata as loaner and kept the car two weeks. They ended up putting in a new master cylinder. They were lucky I did not sue them because they sent me home the first time with a bad master cylinder as I originally suspected it was. Car has been OK since. Dealer sucks but is local. I don't ever use any dealer unless absolutely necessary.

jtees4

That's my approach ...

Reply to
Wayne Moses