fitting new front shock absorbers 1994 Lantra

The front shock absorbers on my 1994 Lantra need replacing. I am mechanically minded but have never done this job before. Is there a procedure I should follow?
Thanks
Thread archive:
If you've never replaced struts before, this is not a job you should do without the supervision of someone who has. You'll need a special tool to compress the spring. If it comes loose, it can strike and kill you.