frequently sunroof fuze gone + auto door lock gone (elantra 2001)

I am a second owner of a Hyundai elantra 2001. I've owned this car since Spring 2004. After the warrnaty expired, I've got this unhappy problem: Frequently the fuse for sunroof is gone, and simultaneously, whenever that fuse is gone, the auto door lock is gone.

If possible, I don't want to spend a lot of money cause I've just spent $350 for a little bit late 30k check (now at 39k miles). Surely, guys at Huyndai dealershops will charge me at least$50 just for the diagnostics which may not be helpful.

Any good idea? What I have to do with dealing this problem?

Reply to
Young

If this happens as soon as you replace the fuse and then try to use either the door locks or the sunroof, then you have a short and you'll need to have someone track down the short in the wiring or switches.

If the fuse blows over time, and does not seem to be related to simply using the door locks or the sunroof, then I would start by disabling the sunroof to see if the motor is causing an overload condition.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Most frequently, the issue is with one of the door lock actuators. But there have also been some issues with corrosion of the electrical connectors between the body and the front doors. There's a technical service bulletin (TSB 06-90-008) about the latter issue. I encourage you to look at it at

If you don't have an account at

register for one-- it's free. The site requires Internet Explorer.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks a lot for the information.

I am not so sure what cuases the problem. However, whenever the fuse went gone, it happened when I was using the remote key for the auto door lock function or just after I turned off the engine.

Sometimes, the fuse was okay over a little bit long period (ex, over ten days). Sometimes, jsut for a couple of days or even for just one day.

I am trying to narrow down the problem and to solve the problem with reasonable cost. Thanks again.

Reply to
Young