Fuel Door Problem

It keeps sticking!! I pull the lever by the driver door, and nothing!! Only way I can open it is by pulling up the lever with a metal coat hanger, and prying it open with a screwdriver.
How can I fix this? Is is a problem with the spring - as in would WD_40 work?
Anyone else have this problem?
Thanks...
sorry - forgot to mention it was a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe - whoops!!!
You'll need to investigate with a partner to see what the issue is-- or just take it to the dealer if under 60k for a free fix. You'll need to check whether the plunger pulls back all the way and whether the door is somehow hanging up, and whether the opening spring is functioning correctly.
On 6 Mar 2006 06:50:37 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It sticks on my 2001 Elantra, has done since new. I have to jiggle the lever by the door several times before it pops open.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

There may be come corrosion in the actuator cable. Try working some lubricant in at the fuel filler end and let gravity assist it in reaching the lever by the seat. WD-40 is a piss-poor lubricant (it's primarily kerosene), so I suggest getting something like Tri-Flow or another thin oil-based lube that lubricates better.
I've had this issue with my 02 Elantra VE and if I pull it a few times it pops open. It is worse in winter. However, I recently bent the clip on the door slightly and I've never had a problem. Only if I wash the car and there is a flash freeze.

Thanks for the tip, not quite sure what you mean by 'clip on the door', is that the fuel tank door?

yes the fuel door when it is open it looks like a Z clip that is attached to the door. I bent that inwards slightly and found the right amount and I haven't had a problem.