fuel indicator on santa fe

my santa fe fuel indicator shows that i am almost empty at 250 miles,(meaning the indicator is right at E) when i fill up though it only takes about 10-11 gal. the manual says that my 2001 santa fe should hold
17 gal. could the fuel indicator be wrong? thanks

It sounds like it might be wacked-out. With my Santa Fe, after about 300 miles the needle is between E and 1/4 tank.

**I don't know what's wrong with it but I used to own a 2001 and my dad currently owns a 2001. Both of them had the same problem as your's. I never got mine fixed and then I turned it in. My dad works at Hyundai and I just walked downstairs to ask him about it and he's zonked out on the couch! :)
10 minutes later: I waited for him to wake up. :) He said that there are two sending units in the tank (floaters?) and that one of the modules was broken. It was replaced and fixed the problem.
kaboomie
When I am at 1/8 of a tank (15 gals fillup) I will see a fuel pump show in the right hand corner of the lower icon area. Then I know I have 2 gals or 40 miles left, even on the highway so I don't run out..