Fuel mileage feedback

To add to the oft asked question about fuel mileage for Sonata's, I just completed a 1400 mile trip with almost all of it on interstates through the
mountains of Virginia and W. Va. as well as S.C., N.C, and Pa. I have a 2006 Sonata LX 4 cyl Automatic. I topped off when I left and returned and kept records of intermediate fillup amounts. Using GPS, I took the actual mileage covered and divided it by the actual gallons. I came up with 33.91 miles per gallon. Surprisingly, the on-board computer said 34.0 miles per gallon, which is darn close. My 'traveling average speed' was 67.9 mph. My tire pressures cold were set at 35psi, which is higher than recommended but that's another story about 'recommended' tire pressures. Don't want to start that up again. :o) Anyway, that's what you can expect under the conditions above. I went from Georgia up to Reading, Pa. It was cold up there and I even got to shovel some snow....... I thought I left that crap behind me when I moved south..
Tom

Although there is no major detriment to tire pressure being set to the max allowable by the manufacturers tire spec on the side wall, other than risking blow-outs from overheating, it's usually ok to be a couple PSI under that rating when the tires are cold. I don't get shops that seriously under-inflate: it kills gas mileage. Anyway, it all depends on the tires. If I have the Yokohama H4S on my '02 Sonata at anything less than 31 PSI, I don't feel the performance and responsiveness I am supposed to be getting out of 'em. Anyway, nice story about your mileage.
- Thee Chicago Wolf
Yea, low pressure will kill mileage. At Christmas, in all the rush to get going on the same trip as I just took, I forgot to check tire pressures. They were all the way down at 24 psi. :o( I got 31 mpg on that trip under same conditions and speeds. My present tires are rated for a max of 44 psi so 35 is reasonable and promotes more even wear than the recommended 30 psi, which makes for a slightly better ride but wears the outside edges off real quick - a common problem with front wheel drive cars.

Thee Chicago Wolf wrote:

Actually, you have that backwards. Inflating to the max pressure allowed by the tire maker LESSENS the chances of a blow-out due to overheating. Overheating arises from UNDER inflation, not over inflation.
Matt

good mpg, but I didn't know you could get a 4cyl in the LX??
You're right!!! I was thinking of my Honda. My Hyundai is a GLS. Sorry about that.
Tom

Impressive mileage. How does the GPS miles compare to the odometer?
Typically, my computer overstates about 1/2 MPG from what I calculate.
In the 700 mile trip, the Gps indicated 702 and the odometer was 697. Pretty darn good......

Tom wrote:

Tom, about what RPM are you turning at say 60 MPH? I've never gotten above 32 MPG on the highway with my 4 cylinder with manual transmission. I'm wondering if the overall drive ratio is a little lower in the automatic. My trips have all been on I-80 in western PA which is fairly hilly which probably costs me 1-2 MPG as well.
Matt
Hi Matt, You know I really didn't pay much attention to the RPM's because they vary up and down grades since it doesn't have a lockup converter. I'll have to pay attention next time I'm on the straight and level and repo
st it for you. The hills in Va and W. V. are pretty impressive too.

"since it doesn't have a lockup converter"
Why do you say that?? Almost (maybe) all modern Auto xmissions have TQ lockup. It just unlocks on a strain (up hill or calling for power).
--

"Tom" < snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:B_kJh.19020$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews8.bellsouth.net...
Tom wrote:

No kidding! I didn't think any modern car lacked a lock-up TC. That is amazing. Are you sure of this?
Matt
Well, maybe partner is right. It's just that on even gentle grades you can see the rpms increase from about 2500 to 2800. It's not a sudden step like you would experience with a converter unlocking. It might be that they have designed in a smooth 'downshift' of sorts. Anyway, I can't feel the 'step'. I really could care less as long as it keeps working and giving me great mileage for the type of car we have. :o)
Maybe hyundaitech can shed some light on it.
Tom