Gas Pedal Sticking Problem

I have a 2003 Santa Fe and the gas pedal is "sticking" as I depress it. The dealership can not fix it and tells me it's normal. Does anyone else notice this? I have never had a vehicle do this, so for me, it's not normal. Thank you for any help you can give. I have tried looking at the service site, but I can only get service updates, can't access the manuals etc. They must only allow service techs to do so.

Reply to
fancyhit

try lubricate the the moving parts.

Reply to
Peter

First, it'll help to know what engine you have. Second, I'd like to know whether you're referring to a physical "sticking" issue (i.e. pedal stuck up, down, or in the middle and doesn't or is difficult to move) or an issue with the enging not reacting like you think it should to application of the pedal, or some other issue. Be very specific and give as much detail as possible about when it occurs, what specifically is occurring, and what you feel/hear/see. Third, I'd like to know what, if anything, the dealer has done to attempt to change what your vehicle is doing.

Reply to
hyundaitech

My engine is the smaller 6 cyl. AWD. The dealer has referred to is as a "binding" issue. According to him, it is not computer driven, but cable driven and the problem is that the plastic is rubbing as the pedal is depressed causing it to depress "not smoothly" is the only way I can describe it. Does not stick and not move, just does not depress smooth like all my other vechicles. Sort of causing jack rabbit starts from a stop since you have to depress more than necessary. As for the dealer, first they replaced the gas pedal assembly, next time they "greased the heck out of it" as they told me, the last time, they basically said "can't do any more, it's normal". They said they checked a new Santa Fe and it works the same way. I am concerned, first that if it's plastic, will it break? and second, is it really normal and does everyone just not notice this? Thank you. Also, do you know how I can get into the manuals online?

Reply to
fancyhit

Well, the easiest way to determine if they're being straight with you is to actually get in one or two new 2.7 Santa Fe's. Effectively, this will be the same throttle setup you have. If they operate the same-- and I haven't noticed this, either-- then the dealer is correct, and I wouldn't expect any issues. I've never had to do anything with a throttle on a 2.7 Santa Fe ('01-'05). On the other hand, if the new vehicles don't have the issue you describe, the dealer hasn't found and solved the issue, and you have reason for concern. The jack rabbit starts already concern me, but I haven't actually driven the vehicle to see how bad it is, either.

For the service manuals, go to

and register for an account. If they don't get back to you in a timely manner, go back to the site and go through the recover lost password procedure.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I had a similar problem in a 2001 Accent. Someone had backed out the Idle Stop Screw to the point where the throttle linkage was not resting on the idle screw but rather that the throttle plate was binding in the throttle body and causing the initial sticking as you describe. One full turn clockwise brought the throttle linkage in contact with the idle screw, opened the throttle slightly and totally eliminated the bnding. There was no perceptible change in idle speed when I did this. Problem is completely gone.

Manny Balfour Sayville, NY snipped-for-privacy@nospamieee.org

Reply to
Manny Balfour

Thank you to all for your suggestions. Manny, I will have my husband check the the situation you mentioned. We were finally able to get into the manuals online which are a tremendous help also, Hyundaitech. Apparently they don't work with all browsers.

Reply to
fancyhit

No, they only work with Internet Exploiter...er...I mean Explorer.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Apparently, my Santa Fe does not have an idle screw, so that suggestion did not work. We are going to check with an alternate dealer to see if they can fix the problem, since the original dealer won't do any more.

Reply to
fancyhit