General automotive service Q for Hyundaitech

You have been most helpful with our Hyundai questions and I have one for my daughters abandoned Camaro in our driveway. She failed to get the cooling system fluched and now it is full of gunk. Is it possible to attach a pump and flush the system (into a bucket) and filter it back into the system to flush the gunk out? Is there a chemical that will dissolve it without harming the engine? Run the engine whil this is happening? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Russell Patterson

I'm presuming your daughter's Camaro is 1996 or newer, meaning it's equipped with Dexcool. I've seen this several times on Dexcool vehicles.

The only thing I've ever been able to do is flush it out with a garden hose. Pull the thermostat out. Pull the heater hoses off the engine. Pull the lower hose off the radiator.

Run the water each direction through the heater core. Run the water into the upper radiator hose at the thermostat housing (presuming that's where the hose attaches), through the radiator and out the bottom. Run the water into the engine through the thermostat housing until nothing but clean water comes out the lower radiator hose.

When you're done with this, I'd recommend installing regular green coolant and then changing it every one or two years. Use your judgment regarding replacing the thermostat.

Be aware that you may need to do this again. Without fail, you won't get everything. Also, it's possible that the radiator and/or heater core is already clogged to the point it won't clear out.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Reply to
Russell Patterson

Not much, except that if my memory serves, it has the green coolant instead of Dexcool. That is a good thing, by the way.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech