H100 Handbrake sudden downward resistance question

Today my handbrake give an unexpected resistance while placing it in the downward position. After wiggling it up and down a few times the resistance lessened. Pulling it upwards functions and feels normal, and
I do not notice any difference while driving, but I still need to push it the last bit before the dashboard light goes out.
Any ideas what could be causing this? Any suggestions? I have a 1996 Hyundai H100 Diesel van and its otherwise in good health.
Daan
Solved after removing the plastic handbreak cover. A plastic plug connecting the handbreak switch to the dashboard was wedged under the mechanism, causing the resistance.