Ham and Elantra

Im willing to bet there are a few ham radio operators in this group.
Im taking delivery if my new Elantra GT Today. Im looking at how I should go about installing my Yaesu FT-8800 in the new car. I have the
remote kit, and in my previous car had the front panel mounted in the dash just below the broadcast radio, with the body of the radio under the front passenger seat.
Im looking at mounting the front panel just under the lighter sockets, but am concerned if Ill have enough room on the right side where the microphone plugs in. Im also wondering whats a good place to pick up power and to mount a remote speaker.
If anyone has any experience with mounting a rig in an Elantra Id like to know how you got it to fit, pictures would be great if you have any of your installation.
Thanks for your help.
73 de KC1IH
--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH
On 10/4/2012 1:07 AM, Larry Weil wrote:

but I haven't gotten around to it. Space is really tight in the Sonata so it's probably even more so in the Elantra. For power I would go straight to the battery, this is what I've always done in my ham installations. For the current requirement of a transceiver, plus the potential for EMI/RFI both from the car to the radio and the other way around, a direct battery connection is the way to go. You just have to find a suitable pass-through to get the power cable into the engine compartment.
A different story but it always amused me. A Ham friend got sick of Subaru WRX hoons racing up and down his street. He had a 2 kw linear amp to which he connected an antenna to and laid said antenna in a culvert that crossed under his street.( I think that was the story, was about 6 years ago he told me) Apparently soon as WRX,s got within 20 feet or so of culvert engine just stopped and they coasted 50 yards or so before they could start engine again. Unfortunately it affected all cars so he had to cease!