Headlights on 2006 Sonata

Page 2 of 2

I'm not giving anything up yet. I will be calling Hyundai again in addition to the complaint I've filed with NHTSA. I've become rapidly disappointed with the technical expertise at the dealer I bought it from. From the headlights, to stealing tires from another vehicle on their lot to fix a tire problem, to me standing there asking the service writer why the tech used an impact gun to tighten the lug nuts on my alloy wheels with no torque stick. His response to the service writer at that point was that they never told him to use torque sticks. There's no other Hyundai dealer within 70 miles of here - Wilmington NC.
Bob wrote:

Wilmington, NC, eh. I haven't been there in some time, but just about lived there for 2.5 years back in the early 80s. I work for Corning Incorporated and we were expanding our plant there pretty rapidly through that time.
I'd still ask the dealer to let you drive one to two other Sonata's just to see if you have a defective light possibly.
Matt
P.S. Is the Trails End restaurant still around? Always loved that place even though it was never quite the same after it was rebuilt.
Bob wrote:

So flash your high beams back, so they know that you have your low beams on and you're not being a jerk. If you educate other drivers, eventually they'll get used to modern headlights like we all must do.

Of course there is. You need to be able to see down the road and also up on the right side of the road to read signs.
Headlights are just brighter now, plain and simple. The only "fix" to your complaint would be to go back to the older, dimmer headlights that we complained about for not providing enough visibility. You can't have it both ways. Yeah, sometimes it's irritating, but the alternative is less visibility overall, which I don't see as an improvement.

Hmmmmmm.... I never complained about the old headlights. They worked fine. I have noticed that all of my cars that are in the 2000 plus vintage (2000, 2003, 2004) do a much worse job at lighting the road in up and down dips than the older cars used to. High beams or low beams - makes no difference. These new lights may have some benefits (though I have yet to put my finger on what the benefits are), but they certainly have some drawbacks as well.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

I agree. The Sonata may be a little brighter than my Chevy pickup, but I haven't parked them side by side to tell. You can't tell any big difference going from one vehicle to the other from a brightness perspective. The only difference is the truck is much better for driving on hilly back roads.
Matt

Yup - it's the dips and dives that black right out with all of the newer lights.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Brian Nystrom wrote:

I believe I have both with my 1994 Chevy pickup, so I know it is possible.
Matt