HELP! $3k and it still persists... HT?

Page 1 of 2
I'm having driveability issues- 03, V6, auto, 125k miles. Once in awhile she loses power, CEL comes on, dies. Starts right up 5 minutes later. EVERYTHING
under the hood has been replaced. MAF, Crank Position Sensor, plugs, wires, coil pack, all O2 sensors, MAF again. Cyl 3,5 misfires & O2 sensor codes. My dealer whom has absorbed a large part of the cost (used car, VIP customers) believes it's the ECM. Your thoughts? Possible faulty ECM? If I buy one from Ebay, does it need programming (fobs will)? Side note- when locking/unlocking car, only driver's side lights flash.
TIA!
Steve in AZ '03 Sonata - Hers - 125k miles '07 F150 - Mine - 56k miles '95 Mustang GT 'vert - Mine - 172k miles K&N and syn blend in all
No trees were killed in the sending of this message; however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Quick and easy fix is to trade it in. That $3k would have made a good down payment. Cut your losses.
Yup, I think I shall....
Thanks Ed! How's that sausage?
Steve
No trees were killed in the sending of this message; however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced. "Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
wrote:

Quick and easy fix is to trade it in. That $3k would have made a good down payment. Cut your losses.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yep, pass the problem along to someone else. Typical American attitude these days...

The alternative is to scrap the car and get $100. Or to keep pouring money into it forever and ever if a fix is not found.
When you buy a used car it is there for one of two reasons. The previous got tired of it and wanted something new or it was becoming a money pit and the owner wanted to cut his losses. Your comment about "these days" goes back about as far as the automobile.
Since you offered no other suggestion, I guess you'd keep pouring money into the car since you have a superior morals and would never sell a less than perfect vehicle.

You know, you could possibly ask the deal for one of the "flight recorder" type things that you hook up the ODB and it records everything going on while the issue is occurring. While you might be getting obvious codes, real-time recording of the system could show something else as the cause.
As for ECM, the dealership should have updated the software for ECM. I vaguely remember seeing a TSB for that on mine (02 Sonata V6). What about timing belt? Spark plugs & wires?
All been done....
Thx TCW
No trees were killed in the sending of this message; however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced. "Thee Chicago Wolf (MVP)" wrote in message

You know, you could possibly ask the deal for one of the "flight recorder" type things that you hook up the ODB and it records everything going on while the issue is occurring. While you might be getting obvious codes, real-time recording of the system could show something else as the cause.
As for ECM, the dealership should have updated the software for ECM. I vaguely remember seeing a TSB for that on mine (02 Sonata V6). What about timing belt? Spark plugs & wires?
Well, I am no mechanic but if you're having compression issues maybe some gasket has a leak? Head gasket maybe? Sounds similar to an issue I had on my old 85 Nova. Sputtery compression. It was too much to fix the head gasket so eventually the cylinders blew and I junked the car. The heat this year really caused me to have a lot of leaks where I didn't used to before and I only have 138k on my 02 Sonata. I imagine you had it worse down there in AZ. Have you tried upping to a full tank of 89 octane to see if it runs any better?

- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]
Need a lot more information to hazard a guess after what's been done already.
What specific oxygen sensor codes are set?
What is the freeze frame data (data at the time the code set) and the code that caused the data to set?
There could be a wiring issue.
Could be the ECM, but typically this is only attempted after everything else has been ruled out simply because it can't be tested well.
On Sunday, September 2, 2012 2:07:09 AM UTC-4, Juts Me wrote:

HT et all;
the only component not replaced would be the camshaft position sensor. I'll try to get the freeze frame data and the 02 codes. But, I made a plea to the dealership to buy the vehicle back at the balance owed. It looks like they will. On a second note, I ended up with my late father's 95 GT HO Mustang vert. And to sum it all up, while on medical leave, I get an e-mail from my employer stating I have been terminated. So, there's another legal battle (they violated so many laws!) and a court settlement may just be the ticket to buy the missus a new Elantra that she wants. and to repair the A/C in the stang. Ya know, we should all plan a get together. Didn't we discuss this at one time in the past?
"hyundaitech" wrote in message
Need a lot more information to hazard a guess after what's been done already.
What specific oxygen sensor codes are set?
What is the freeze frame data (data at the time the code set) and the code that caused the data to set?
There could be a wiring issue.
Could be the ECM, but typically this is only attempted after everything else has been ruled out simply because it can't be tested well.
On Sunday, September 2, 2012 2:07:09 AM UTC-4, Juts Me wrote:

Sad to have him pass, but the car sounds nice and will hopefully be a good reminder of Dad.

Classy outfit.

Could be fun. It has been done on a couple of other groups, both cooking related.
Ed- you do the sausage thing right? I'm there!!!! Steve
wrote:

Sad to have him pass, but the car sounds nice and will hopefully be a good reminder of Dad.

Classy outfit.

Could be fun. It has been done on a couple of other groups, both cooking related.

Sausage and brisket. When and where?
I used to have your website bookmarked. Have always wanted to make sausage...
wrote:

Sausage and brisket. When and where?

The good people at ATT no longer offer me a free web site. I should put it back up someplace though.
You can make sausage very simply though. Buy pre-ground meat, season it, make it into either patties or a roll and slice off what you want and fry it. If you think it is something you'd like to continue, buy a grinder, then next step a stuffer, etc.
There's no reason to replace the camshaft position sensor. The worst thing it'll do is make the car a little sluggish on acceleration from a stop when the coolant temperature is cold. Other than that, check engine lamp and no effect.
It also won't cause an oxygen sensor code.
On Saturday, September 8, 2012 4:32:15 PM UTC-4, Juts Me wrote:

Well, then it's the ECU...Someone else can fix it!
No trees were killed in the sending of this message; however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced. "hyundaitech" wrote in message

What about partially clogged catalytic converter? I had that on a car once. Back pressure would build up but in this vehicle's case it blew out the head gasket and I shut down when I saw steam under the hood.
The other thing this sounds like if it were an older car would be the condenser. As they fail they heat up and it causes loss of power and stalling until it has a chance to cool back down. KWW
On 9/4/2012 6:46 PM, hyundaitech wrote:

--- Posted via
Thanks for the input, but it's all been checked and double-checked. It's either a defective (new) MAF, bad ECU or wiring. If they're willing to buy the car back, then hey, I'm on board. 1 less car payment!
Steve
No trees were killed in the sending of this message; however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced. "KWW" wrote in message ---
This sure seems like a lot of oversimplification, but I'm of course short on details. Your post seems to suggest there was a conclusion that the MAF readings were inaccurate for one reason or another. Do you know how that conclusion was reached?