Help With Rear Brakes

Need help with rear brakes on 96 Elantra. Wanted to change rear shoes and pack wheel bearings at the same time. In order to get to the bearings, I
needed to remove the hub nut. The nut was punched into a depression in the center of the spindle and when I removed the nut by rotating counter-clockwise, the spindle threads were galled. I assumed the bearings were the open cage type that required packing. Any chance the bearings are the closed variety that don't need servicing? Is it standard procedure to just remove the brake drum and install a new set of shoes without servicing the bearings?
Thanks for the help, Craig
The bearing is sealed and cannot be serviced without replacing the rear wheel hub.