Heres a current list of cars that depreciate quickly

Page 1 of 2
http://foxnews.smartmoney.com/ask/in...story 060516

Dave in Lake Villa wrote:

I didn't find the story at that link, but did find it at this longer link; http://foxnews.smartmoney.com/ask/index.cfm?story 060516

Yes. But consider this. My 1996 Hyundai Accent which depreciated like wild fire the moment I drove it off the lot after paying $7,500 for it brand new now has 210,192 miles on it. With an average mpg around 40 miles/gallon, I figure I got my money's worth and could care less about depreciation. With some luck, thus now starting to rust, machine will reach 300,000 miles on the odometer. I hope so. I'm trying to catch up with my wife's 1993 Subaru Impreza which has 229,313 miles on it before either car gives out.
Jozef wrote:

Very true. I also tend to keep my vehicles until "death due us part" and so depreciation is merely a fictitious expense dreamed up by accountants. Now if you are one of those "more money than brains" people who trade cars every year or three, then depreciation is a very real concern.
Matt

Man, good thing you put the "more money than brains" in quotes or you might just have started another flame war :-) Of course, what other reason could someone have for buying a new car every few years except for having too much money and too little brain?
How does someone with such a big brain wind up saying such stupid stuff all the time? Or do you really believe everything you say?
Hey, you know you are entitled to your opinion. But you probably know what they say about opinions....
Eric
P.S. - I usually turn over my cars every few years for the plain and simple reason that I am tired of them. Or something better has come along. I can't do it with my wife (too expensive).
HAHAHAHA Here we go again ........

Eric G. wrote:

Hmmm, a car is a tool , nobody "gets tired" of a tool ...... you can tell yourself what you want though .

When a better tool comes along, something that makes the day-to-day use of that tool more desireable, and I get to try the new tool, yes, I do get tired of the old one rather quickly.
When it is not costly to keep it, I will keep the old tool for future use, but with limited space and finances, keeping a car around forever isn't really practical.
Thanks for your opinon though.
Eric
Eric SAID .......
P.S. - I usually turn over my cars every few years for the plain and simple reason that I am tired of them. Or something better has come along. I can't do it with my wife (too expensive).
Good one Eric I too turn my cars over every few years, Better looks better technology ECT.
I also did it with a wife once !!!!! but it was well worth the expense...hahahahaha
Tunez

I'm starting to think that one time (with the wife) might be worth it too :-)
But apparently we are wealthier in finances than thought.
Eric
Eric G. wrote:

Yes, I mean what I say and I say what I mean. I realize that is becoming increasingly rare in this PC world in which we live, but, hey, that is me.
Matt

More power to you. I do the same most of the time. It's the fact that you believe what you say that scares the crap outta me. But, hey, that's just me.
Eric
Eric G. wrote:

Be afraid. Be very afraid. :-)
I'm curious; what do I believe that "scares the crap outta" you?
Matt

That someone needs to have "more money than brains" to want a new car every few years.
Eric
Eric G. wrote:

Wow, if that scares the crap outta ya, then you are one timid individual.
That wouldn't even raise my level of concern. An armed burglar trying to break into my house, wouldn't even scare the crap out of me. Well, if I couldn't get to my .44 magnum quickly enough, it might increase my anxiety a little. :-)
Matt

OK, Mr. Literal.

Why would that worry you? Don't you have a .357 Mag and a .32 Baretta tucked in other locations like I do? Then there is always the Remington 12 ga on my wifes side of the room.
Eric
Eric G. wrote:

:-)
No, I don't. I don't use toy guns of less than .40 caliber. Well, handguns, anyway. My 7mm Remington Magnum is obviously less than .40, but it still has plenty of punch. Any my Marlin .44 Magnum level action is a really handy gun in close quarters.
Yes, hard to beat a 12 gauge for protection purposes.
Matt

I like depreciation. I buy my cars 1-2 years old and I like those cars that take a nice first year hit.

More money than brains? That's what I used to think too,, but the more I work on cars now, the more I believe those folks may not be so stupid. Drive 'em trade 'em in before you have to do *anything* to them, and go about the other things in life. What the heck - a car payment is a car payment. Why worry about depreciation if you're resigned to a car payment for the rest of your life.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

Yes, you obviously have more brains than money. :-)

Well, I've owned, I think, five vehicles now that I purchased brand new. Let me think - 84 Accord, 86 Comanche, 89 Acclaim, 94 K1500 and 2006 Sonata, yep, five, oh, 8 if you count motorcycles!. I've had more trouble and more trips to the dealer per unit time during the first three years of ownership of the new vehicles, than during any three year time I've owned any of the vehicles that were more than three years old, with only one exception. When my 96 minivan had an intermittent fuel pump problem at the 150,000 mile mark, I had it in the shop 4 times in less than a year before they found the problem.
So, I my personal experience doesn't bear out the "new car is less trouble" theory. My vehicles have typically been most reliable in the 3-8 years of age and 40 - 150K miles range. That is one reason that you see my new car purchase spacing getting ever longer. :-) Three kids to tear up vehicles is the other reason!
Matt

I'm sure you are saying some of that tounge-in-cheek, but you do make a good point. Since 1990, my car payments have only gone down (admittedly, not much) each time I traded up.
A few times I traded up my car loan was actually "upside-down", but that hasn't happened yet with my Hyundai's.
Eric