High Dollar Sonata Tune Up

04 Sonata V6 one intake gasket, 6 spark plugs + labor $349.00 + tax. That if all it takes is spark plugs and not some sensors. Great engineering on
the part of Hyundai!
Tom
Unfortunately, the way they build a LOT of these cars with the transverse V6 makes a job like changing spark plugs an absolute bear.
There are a lot of cars anymore where you have to take off the intake manifold - hence the new gasket. But whether you do or don't, that doesn't make the job of replacing those three spark plugs on the back of the engine any easier. Often that is a job only Gumby can do.
I have even seen cars (GM's were notorious for this) where, on FWD V6 models, the only way you could replace those three back plugs was to loosen the engine mounts, and tip the whole engine forward. FOR SPARK PLUGS, for crying out loud.
That is what makes you really think twice when it comes time for the 60,000 mile service on their 100,000 mile warranty, especially for cars with a timing belt. You add the impossible cost of a timing belt AND the impossible cost of replacing spark plugs on a V6, and well, maybe it's time to check out the new models on a trade in.
This is one case where a 4-cylinder (with all four plugs on top and looking at you) definitely has an advantage.
Tom Wenndt

Rev. Tom Wenndt wrote:

Yes, my minivans are a real pain to access as well. I'll take my Chevy pickup with the V-6 engine oriented the way that God intended! I can just about stand between the engine and wheel wells in that truck.

Yes, that is nuts also.

Fortunately, I've not had a vehicle that poorly design, but my Jeep Comanche required you to remove the AC compressor from its mount in order to access the front spark plug and that was an inline 4, not even a V-6.

Well, on the new Hyundai engines, the timing belt is no longer a concern. I have no idea how hard the spark plugs are to change, but those on the 4 cylinder didn't look too bad. I think the manual suggest having the dealer do the plugs on the V-6 so it must be a bear.

True, and that is one reason I buy 4 cylinder vehicles where it is practical and V-6s where I don't have a choice (my minivan and my full-size pickup). Fewer parts to replace during maintenance and just cheaper and easier to work on all way around.
Matt
Intake gasket is a tune-up item?

Darby OGill wrote:

It sounds like you may have to pull the intake manifold to change the plugs. Seems hard to believe, but that is how I interpreted the post.
Matt

I have to pull the intake on my 95 Ranger 4 cyl. to change the plugs. Its a real pain in the rear.
Rob

If you saw the engine, Matt, you'd believe it. Can't even get the wires out of the rear holes without pulling the plenum.
hyundaitech wrote:

Oh, I do believe it! I'm just incredulous that anyone would design an engine this way!
Matt
A Hyundai shop in my town says $230. It can go down when other services come as a package.
I replaced spark plugs by myself. I am no mechanic, so it was challenging to me.
IMHO, the tune up should be done within 1.5 hour by any competent mechanic. $350 seems to be little bit high.
Beside, Sonata comes with platinum spark plugs, which you only want to check and replace @60k miles.
When I replaced spark plugs @60k, the old plugs didn't show little signs of worn. They could have gone another 20K miles without losing MPG and such.
I am doing the same on Dodge Caravan V6. I am having difficulties in reaching rear side plugs, there too. Maybe all V6 are REALLY GOOD for changing spark plugs. MPG improvement is expected on Caravan, since the copper tip spark plugs worn out big time.
I saw ads that said '$50 for tune up'. It had a small print "four cylinder only" :)
sonata wrote:

What year is your Caravan? My 96 GV had platinum plugs and I ran them to close to 100K as the manual says and had no problem at all. I changed them at around 98K as I had the van in for other work, but the plugs were still in decent shape and the engine ran no better nor got better gas mileage after than it did before.
Matt
That's interesting. It is 97 V6 3.0. I got it as used one @40K. My manual says check and replace the plugs every 30k. I guess yours is Grand Caravan, while mine is just Caravan. Fair enough.
sonata wrote:

I didn't realize Chrysler still offered the Mitsubishi V-6 as late as the 97 model. My 96 had the Chrysler 3.3L engine.
Matt