High pitched tone 2007 Santa fe

Howdy, We have this problem exactly:
"I have the infinity 605 watt system but do not have xm radio. Problem 1: When i listen to the radio(or cd player) at low volume
levels (anything under 15) i hear a high pitched tone that is almost as loud as the radio itself. This tone is not present when i use the radio with the car off. So i am annoyed and do not use my radio"
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f180635
Any Ideas?
WVK
I've not seen any complaints of this and have not noticed it, so I don't know whether it's outside my hearing range.
If this is indeed a situation where they indeed all do it, it would probably require an engineering solution on Hyundai's part. The discussion in the Edmunds forum seems to be on point. I'd expect the radio and antenna shielding would be well-grounded, so any engineering fix would most likely involve some sort of in-line filter for the antenna cable.
Start with the dealer. Make them aware of the issue and have them check the vehicle. If they have difficulty repairing, they're likely to call technical assistance. If they believe it to be normal they're likely to take no further action. You'll want the dealer to call technical assistance in either case. If technical assistance tells them it's normal, there's nothing more the dealer will be able to do. Technical assistance may also propose a solution or report that one is coming but not ready yet.
If the above doesn't solve the problem, make a complaint to Hyundai consumer assistance. While making the complaint still won't guarantee a fix, it'll at least make sure Hyundai is aware of the problem. The more people that call with the problem, the more likely it is that the problem will be addressed.
Thanks for the suggestions. Headache inducing squeal is most noticeable if you listen to talk on AM band with the engine running then turn engine off. This problem makes the (expensive) sound system unusable for me.
WVK

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 18:54:32 -0600, "hyundaitech"

On Edmunds, the poster says the noise is there when either the radio or CD is playing. Wouldn't that rule out the antenna?
I've seen alternator RF induce noise in electronics many times, so they may be on the right track at Edmunds. -
Bob

In fact, alternator induced noise (particularly on AM) was a widespread issue for many years. Hasn't been such an issue in recent years. I'd look at the alternator too.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net