How long does it take for a squirrel's body to decompose in your ductwork?

I brought my car for an oil change March 2006 and the mechanic showed me what appeared to be a squirrel's nest that the animal had built in my air filter. All last spring and summer I had a horrible smell of
decaying squirrel in my car when I started the heater or the blower. I brought it to a garage twice and they tried spraying it with a deodorizing spray (didn't work), They said the animal's body could be anywhere in the ductwork and it would be very expensive to find it. Does anyone know of something that would help remove the smell (other than keeping my windows rolled down for the first 10 minutes).

That can't possibly be safe.
- Thee Chicago Wolf

It may also be giving off some nasty bacteria too. I'd certainly want to find it and get it out. I wonder if your insurance company would be of any help if it is beyond your deducible cost? If nothing else, I'd try fishing it out somehow.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

for likely places it would be- starting at the filter where you know it's been. Shouldn't be too hard.
From your question I'm gonna assume its in the air intake ducting not the cabin ventilation ducting . This is exactly the reason while I removed all that damned air intake ductwork and went with a short ram intake on my 01 Elantra after pulling 2 nest out of the airfilter box in the same month .