how many miles for an 02 accent

My 2002 accent has about 5100 miles. how many miles can I expect it do go before I experience a major break down? I do have the 100,000 mile bumper to bumper, and I do plan on getting all the maintence done at 60k, but realistically how many trouble free miles can I expect fom this little car?

Reply to
illusion123a

well, I got 31k miles on my 04 and I just replaced the Spark Plugs and it runs like it did when it was new (minus the rattling in my door from a crappy Power Door Lock system Best Buy installed, I ended up getting it free so I cant complain too much.). I am fully confident I will get at least another 30k without anything major. After that I need new Timing Belt and other stuff so no telling after that. I should hit the 60k mark in July next year as it does not seem my commute is going to shorten any between now and then.

Reply to
Matthew Rebbert

here in croatia we have accents with 500.000 km thats i think

350-400.000 miles.... with only regular services... and thats it... few of them did get to 600.000 but then theny only made changes to all rubber stuf on the enging, and they run normaly again... they are in use at one security agency ... and practicly work 24h a day... the only turn off enging on shift changes, regular service, and when puting fuel in :-) so i guess you should have no problems for a long time...

one of my good frineds just went to extend registration (with hyundai pony 14 years old 533 000 km) , and we have testing every year, and for polution.. you could get your car banned from to road if it does not passes eco test.. but it did pass every test and it had only regular services... :-)

Reply to
Andy

FWIW, my 1996 Hyundai Accent just went over 196,000 miles and going strong. There have been understandable parts failures. I am on my third water pump for example. Amazingly enough, it is the original clutch, CV joints and exhaust. I am in Vermont where the winters are tough and the hills and mountains are plentiful. I car is just now starting to show rust in the rear wheel wells. The car consistently gets over 40 mpg and has long ago proved itself to be a good value. For the record, my wife's car, a 1993 Subaru Impreza at almost 3 times the original purchase price has 218,000 plus miles on it, but is far worse off with rust. Good luck with your Accent.

Jozef

Reply to
Jozef

how does you car handel in the snow? we get some snowy winters here in Pa, but I do everything i can to avoid driving in it

Reply to
illusion123a

Put a set of four snow tires on it and it will handle just fine. My favorites are Nokian Hakkapeliitta 2's (without studs).

Brian Nystrom

we live in north western canada, and our Accent handles winter just fine, snow,slush,-45 etc.. We use strictely 4 winter tires and 4 only not two... Just two on front can make your cars asa wanna kiss your front in a curve... if you dont like idea of changing to winters, try Nokian Nrw's, only all season tire that carries the severe weather stamp.

Reply to
Jody

I do have a set of 4 smow tires, the two frount are studded and the rear two are just reg. snow tires. I am just glad that my job is only 3 miles away

Reply to
illusion123a

It's not a good idea for the front and rear tires to be different in any way, for these reasons among others:

1) If the rear has less traction than the front (your situation if you're on ice), the rear end of the car will tend to skid on corners or during hard braking. Rear end skids are difficult to control in front-drive cars and most people do exactly the wrong thing by backing off the throttle, which worsens the skid and causes the car to spin. The proper reaction is actually accellerate gently to pull the rear end back in line, but there are times when you simply cannot do that. 2) You cannot rotate the tires, which means that they will wear unevenly front-to rear.

I suggest that you get your rear tires studded if you're going to stick with studded front tires. That will correct both of these issues.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

I live in Vermont, 20 years now. Lots of snow and ice. 5 years ago, I tried good snow tires on all 4 wheels. The tires have 4 rings of studs in each tire. The car is 1996 Accent. I put them on the first of October and take them off the first of April. I will not spend a winter without studded snows. Without them I had to park my car up road a my driveway is too steep to get out when the snow flies. With them, usually not a problem even when the snow is deep. Snows may look like an added expense, but I look at it this way. Since there are two sets of tires that take me twice as far before I have to buy tires, the additional cost is extra mounting. A small price to pay for the added traction.

Reply to
Jozef

"" wrote: > My 2002 accent has about 5100 miles. how many miles can I > expect it do go > before I experience a major break down? I do have the 100,000 > mile bumper > to bumper, and I do plan on getting all the maintence done at > 60k, but > realistically how many trouble free miles can I expect fom > this little > car?

Most people make 60k-80k before they have to put real shop time into the accents. after that (assuming your keeping up your car) prob

110k-130k. I dont see many accents with more than 130k, and even less w/o major work. A friend of mine did get lucky and have a complete engine/tranny failure at 94k and got it all replaced under warrenty and is now pushing 180k. wish i had that luck...lol
Reply to
xmirage2kx