How much to paint a Santa Fe? clear coat peeled off and paint is fading.

I just bought a second hand Santa Fe from an individual. The day we bought it was rainy, and we didn't notice a LOT of the paint damage. It really looks bad,
as the clear coat is peeling off and the paint is fading. More afraid of rust on the faded places than the looks. It also had a dent on the passenger side trim, so will need to replace that in time. Paint is the #1 thing right now. It will require a lot of pre-work, as the clear coat is thick and will need sanding to make the paint job smooth.
I can't provide an answer as to cost, but a local body and paint shop can. As for the danger of rust, as long as the main paint coat is not peeling, there should be no rust issues on the painted surface.
If the clear coat is indeed peeling (and not just worn through), this compl icates the paint process, as it'll be necessary to actually strip the paint before repainting. If this isn't done, it'll continue peeling after the n ew paint job, and peel the new paint off as well.
On Thu, 08 Jan 2015 19:18:00 +0000, judyb

How big is a box? There is no simple answer.
You have to decide just how much the car is worth to you and how much you want to invest. You can go to a low price outfit like Maaco or you can go to a custom shop and spend thousands. I've seen cars spruced up for $500, but a really top job with clearcoat is many times that. Cheap jobs are usually just a coat or two of enamel. Better jobs are multi coats of color and clear coat.
If you stay with the original color, you can get away skipping door jambs, trunk interior and the like.
Or you can get away very cheap like a neighbor did some years back. Can of Rustoleum and a brush.
In typed:

I don't know the cost. But, I do have a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe, 3.5L, color is Midnight Blue. It has what looks like salt deposits all over, mostly in crevice areas on the hood etc. I have noticed that many other cars of the same make, model, and approximate year as mine have the same thing. It looks like a paint defect to me, but it didn't show up until well after my warranty ran out -- meaning after 60,000 and 5 years (I bought mine used). Like yours, mine looks pretty good in the rain, then looks awful after it dries. You didn't say what year your vehicle is or what color.
In typed:

P.S. I probably should have explained that it is definitely not salt deposits on my vehicle -- it just looks like salt deposits. It is some problem with the paint. I do love the vehicle however, and I have had it since about 2008. It is not worth enough for me to want to have it repainted. Plus, it has about 120,000 miles on it now and my guess it that it is due to conk out sometime soon.

My inlaws recently had their Santa Fe painted at a local Maaco due to failure of the original clearcoate. Maaco did a much better job than I would have expected for $1500. I don't know how long it will last but supposedly it has a 5-year guarantee.
On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 02:19:25 +0000 (UTC), Roger Blake

Maaco have different levels and the 5 year is the better one. They are also a franchise so you may find some better than others so do check them out. That is not a bad price if it is a decent job.
On Tuesday, January 13, 2015 at 3:54:31 AM UTC-7, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I agree. I had the top and hood of my 15 year old minivan painted by Maaco. It was not perfect, but it looked a lot better than it did before. There were no runs, and they did a good job blending the old and new paint.
A regular shop would have charged at least 4 times what I paid, but that of course, would not have made sense for an older vehicle, unless it was a classic
Kirk M