How to change Santa Fe's idle speed ?

Threaded View

Anybody know how I can change the idle speed in my Santa Fe ?

Thanks.

Re: How to change Santa Fe's idle speed ?

Re-program the computer?

If you want to go up, you may be able to put a physical block in the
throttle linkage, if you want to go down, I doubt you can do much.

Re: How to change Santa Fe's idle speed ?

But the point is, why?

--
Zotto
http://www.g2kweb.it/gigio2k/dettaglio.asp?file=Upload/salvati/zotto/Zottomobile/3quarti.jpg
Re: How to change Santa Fe's idle speed ?

'Anybody know how I can change the idle speed in my Santa Fe ?
Thanks.'

REPLY:  I went thru this with my Hyundai local Service Dept soon after i
got my 2002 SantaFe  as i didnt like the unecessary high revs when the
car was first started (especially in sub zero temps).  They said that
its just the way it comes from the factory.   After a bit of questioning
and personal exploration, I learned the workings of the device that
controls Idle Speed on this SUV.  Its a black colored device located
right next to the throttle valve assembly and its held on by 2 bolts
with a plug in wire harness. It is simple to remove . Inside, there are
two small holes about the size of a dime. I got some sheetmetal and cut
a perfect template to fit the entire flanged area of the Device . I then
made two smaller holes in the sheetmetal directly over the present holes
in the Device , used sealant on the perimeter of the sheetmetal template
(both sides), then applied it before putting the Device back on.
Started up the car, and the idle was too low and nearly stalled the car.
So, i removed it again , made the holes slightly larger in the
sheetmetal , and reassembled. Fired up the car and the idle speed was to
my liking.

Before, the idle speed when cold, was almost 2,000 rpms and when warmed
up was 950 rpms.  Now, it is 1200 rpms and 800 rpms respectively. I
picked up 1 mpg more in fuel economy and the transmission shifts far
smoother when going from Park to Drive and Park to Reverse.

Dont know if you want to go to the trouble as i did, but its a simple
permanent cure , doesnt cause any codes to come up,  nobody can tell
from the outside of the Device thats its been altered,  and has the
benefits as i described above.

Dave
2002 SantaFe
2.7 litre

Re: How to change Santa Fe's idle speed ?

Thanks.

Re: How to change Santa Fe's idle speed ?

Your idle speed is controlled by computer.  *Do not* adjust the cable to
hold the throttle open as suggested by another poster.  This will result
in other undesireable symptoms and possibly a check engine lamp.

Why do you wish to change the idle speed?

Re: How to change Santa Fe's idle speed ?

It's currently "idling" at about 2,000rpm which also causes problems with
the gear changing.
In my old car I used to just turn a screw to adjust the idling.

Cheers.

Re: How to change Santa Fe's idle speed ?

I also miss the days when I could turn a screw to adjust the idle and if
your engine stopped running you could quickly diagnose and fix it.
They're over. Rigging up something to change your idle speed is asking
for trouble. Hyundaitech said it best- it WILL result in other
undesirable symptoms. The reason it idles fast sometimes is to warm it
to operating temperature quickly, saving fuel and reducing pollution.
Turn your radio up and know the computer is doing it's job well.

Re: How to change Santa Fe's idle speed ?

I don't miss them at all.  Last time I had a car quit on my was my '83 Olds
Cutlass with 150,000 miles on it.  Last time I had to fiddle with an idle
screw was, well, a very long time ago.  Overall, the reliability of today's
engines and the amount of "tuneup" they need is far superior than anything
from the good old days.

Re: How to change Santa Fe's idle speed ?

Ah, then you don't want to change the idle speed, you want to fix the
underlying problem.  Yes, there is something wrong if it is idling at 2k
rpm.   There can be a lot of reasons for that, such as sticking throttle
linkage, bad sensors, broken vacuum lines, etc.

Re: How to change Santa Fe's idle speed ?

Intake air temp sensor?

--
Zotto
http://www.g2kweb.it/gigio2k/dettaglio.asp?file=Upload/salvati/zotto/Zottomobile/3quarti.jpg
Re: How to change Santa Fe's idle speed ?

Probably not.  Air temp is a minor player in fuel management.  Coolant temp
is a much more likely cause.

Re: How to change Santa Fe's idle speed ?

I thought so as if there is a reading of a very low temperature at startup
idle speed is increased.

--
Zotto
http://www.g2kweb.it/gigio2k/dettaglio.asp?file=Upload/salvati/zotto/Zottomobile/3quarti.jpg
Re: How to change Santa Fe's idle speed ?

I'm with Edwin.  If your idle continues at 2000 RPM anytime other than
immediately after a cold start, there's something wrong that needs to be
corrected.  You might start by checking for vacuum leaks or, if your check
engine lamp is on, having the codes read.

[SOLVED] Re: How to change Santa Fe's idle speed ?

The problem has now been fixed. As alluded to by Edwin Pawlowski and
hyundaitech, the cause was a split and collapsed vaccum hose between the
inlet manifold and the rocket cover. A new $30 hose did the trick. Thanks
for all the replies.

Re: [SOLVED] Re: How to change Santa Fe's idle speed ?

Glad is was something simple.
Ed

Re: How to change Santa Fe's idle speed ?

'Yes, there is something wrong if it is idling at 2k rpm. =A0 There can
be a lot of reasons for that, such as sticking throttle linkage, bad
sensors, broken vacuum lines, etc.'

REPLY:  Not according to my local Hyundai Dealerships Service Dept ;
they said 2000 rpms upon a cold start is how it comes from the factory
and no external anomoly  is causing it.

Re: How to change Santa Fe's idle speed ?

'Yes, there is something wrong if it is idling at 2k rpm. There can
be a lot of reasons for that, such as sticking throttle linkage, bad
sensors, broken vacuum lines, etc.'

REPLY:  Not according to my local Hyundai Dealerships Service Dept ;
they said 2000 rpms upon a cold start is how it comes from the factory
and no external anomoly  is causing it.

But there is a difference between start up and normal idling.  He did not
mention it was only at starup, but did give the impression it was constant.
Perhaps clarification is needed.

Re: How to change Santa Fe's idle speed ?

Not according to my local Hyundai Dealerships Service Dept ;
they said 2000 rpms upon a cold start is how it comes from the factory
and no external anomoly is causing it.

'But there is a difference between start up and normal idling. He did
not mention it was only at starup, but did give the impression it was
constant. Perhaps clarification is needed.'

REPLY:  Perhaps he could clarify for us, but, I think he would have
indicated 'all of the time'  if it were not just upon cold startup.

Re: How to change Santa Fe's idle speed ?

I think he would have said "on startup" if it was not happening all the
time.  Startup speed in influenced by temperature and what used  to be choke
settings for a richer mixture.  That is all computer controlled now, of
course,  My impression is that you set the idle for a normal run speed as
opposed to a startup situation.

I guess clarification is needed rather than the generic, "how do I change
idle speed"

Site Timeline