HT: Safety device question

HT, can you explain to me briefly how the safety sensors work to keep the drivers side sliding door from opening when the gas door is open on the Entourage?

The reason I ask is that I discovered the other night that it no longer works on my Entourage. Likely, this is due to a screw up by the body shop after my accident, since this door was replaced, but I want to find out more before I take it to them.

Yes, my son opened the door while I was refilling the car and ALMOST caused a major incident. Luckily I was standing there refilling at the time (in PA) and managed to use my arm to reverse the door. It did dent the gas door though!

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

We went through this in the new-model introduction class, but it's of course been long enough since then that I don't remember what the mechanism is. In my experience, the PSD (power sliding door) stops as soon as the fuel door is released and will not operate if the fuel door is already open. Let's see what we can find in the class materials.

Okay. I've found a page which had a partially covered data screen which appears to indicate that there is a data point in the PSD module for the fuel filler door. Of course, since it's partially covered with another picture, I can't be sure. So lets have a look at the schematics.

Found the page with the left PSD schematic. It shows an input from a "fuel filler door check switch." But since they've updated hmaservice, I can't find the link to component locations anymore. I checked the right PSD schematic, and there is no such input, so I figure we're on the right track.

According to photo 56, this connector for the switch is accessed by removing the left rear trim panel and is just behind the PSD, about 6 to

10 inches up from the floor. The picture of a low enough zoom that I cannot tell whether it's inside the body panel or accessible once the trim is removed. For comparision, I looked at photo 58, which shows the connector for the fuel filler door solenoid, and that's back near the motor for the PSD.

It definitely appears safe to say that the left PSD module receives ground input from the fuel filler door switch when the door in one state or the other. It's not clear whether opening is inhibited with the switch providing ground or with the switch open, but you can probably play around with it and figure it out.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Thanks!! Sorry for the trouble, but I sincerely appreciate it.

Eric

"hyundaitech" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Reply to
Eric G.

No problem, Eric. This sort of thing gives me a chance to review some things I don't know. When I get one in the shop, I'll already know how it works, if I remember by the time that comes around.

Once upon a time, I knew when product design changed and how nearly everything operated just off the top of my head. That was when Hyundai had four models. I went away from Hyundai for a few years, and when I came back, there were 6 models and some engines I hadn't seen before. Now we're up to 8 models, and I have difficulty with mental retention of how everything works and which vehicles have which systems.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Since we are helping you work faster, your boss should give you a bonus for hanging out here. Heck, he should give us a bonus for asking questions.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Plus, no matter how we fight it, we all get older every year :-) I know for me personally, I need an internal hard drive and memory upgrade.

Eric

"hyundaitech" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Reply to
Eric G.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:treaj.21643$1R1.10626@trndny02:

Who are you kidding? HT *IS* the boss :-P

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

Reply to