Hyundai Elantra 03, 04 ??

I'm retired and looking at getting one of these cars and I'd like to know how the reliability of the 4 and 6 cylnder compare. I'm looking for the lowest maintenace cost. Also I like to know iif their great warranty is
transferrable and at what cost and is it worthwhile. Will either of these cars go 200,000 miles with normal maintenance or are there bir problems at some milestone like transmission or other big cost item? tnx
--

73
Hank WD5JFR

On Mon, 23 May 2005 02:04:16 GMT, Henry Kolesnik staggered into the Black Sun and said:

? IIRC, the Elantra is only available with the 2.0L 4-banger in the USA. Did you mean "Sonata", which is available with 6cyl or 4cyl? What's your geographic location? FWIW, the 2.0L I4 "Beta" engine used in Elantras is fairly reliable from what I've heard from Elantra owners on this newsfroup. Again IIRC, the 4-banger used in the Sonata is less reliable than the one used in the Elantra. ICBW though.

The 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty is not transferable AFAICT.

100,000 for sure. 150,000, highly probable. 200,000... don't know. Your geographic location is also important for answering this question; cars last longer in places like Arizona than they do in places like Michigan or Florida. (Road salt, sea salt, potholes, large number of idiot drivers, etcetera.) HTH,
--
Matt G|There is no Darkness in eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see
"We should have a policy against using personal resources for company

Henry Kolesnik wrote:

Let's put it this way. This was in the Economist:
"Warranty claims are less than expected. Hyundai has trimmed warranty provisions from 5.7% to just 1.8% of its revenues." - Economist
Quality is definitely improving fast. And with the newest and the most technologically advanced state of the art Hyundai manufacturing in Alabama making cars, made by Americans, the long term quality will improve drastically. I predict Hyundai will top the JD Powers (both short and long term customer satisfaction), by year 2007. Remember all those Hyundai jokes? Look who's going to have the last laugh.