Hyundai Elantra 2002 timing belt (only 4 years ?)

Hi,

I've just buy an elantra GT 2002 at 85k km. When calling my local dealer for verificating all recall was done, they told me that my car needed a new timing belt after 4 years.

Is that true, after only 4 years? I suppose it's for the warranty, but are timing belt problems frequent on these cars ? (In fact I dont care of changing it for the keeping my warranty effective, but after that can I only wait for the next 100k ?)

thanks

Reply to
slanbuas

The manufacturer's recommendation is 4 years/60k miles. I'd recommend sticking with that just because it's the recommendation. But, I've also never seen one fail under about 6 years and 90k miles, although I believe there was some sort of a post about an Elantra or Accent timing belt failure within the maintenance interval. Your choice. Your consequences.

Reply to
hyundaitech

If you don't replace it and it fails, you may invalidate your Hyundai warranty, which normally lasts 10 years. Do you want to chance that?

I have a 2001 Accent, and replaced the timing belt last year for that reason. The car only had 13,000 miles on it.

Reply to
Jim Byrd

Not sure if yours is an interference fit engine ?? Serious damage can happen if the belt breaks. I have a 95 Elantra 1th belt lasted almost 90K before it broke Lucky it was ideling, no damage the replacement belt only went 40K before it broke So do yourdrelf a favor and replace it

Reply to
sqdancerLynn