Hyundai Excell 1994 Died

I have been hearing a noise coming from the left hand side of the car similar to the sound of a UV joint going out. I assume that this is the timing belt slipping. Today, the car suddenly died and wouldn't
restart. The engine would crank, and there was plenty of juice, but zero compression.
I'm assuming that it is the timing belt. If it is, how do I replace it, and how long should it take?
Thanks
hman1324 wrote:

Considering that the car has an interference engine, you've probably damaged the valvetrain. If the valvetrain is damaged, it means new valves, guides and seals at a minimum. You may also have damaged the pistons, which would require a major engine rebuild.
If you want to try replacing the timing belt, it's a pretty easy job, but you'll need a manual. You can check Hyundai's Webtech site to see if the factory manual is posted online. If not, the Haynes manual for the car covers timing belt replacement. Figure it will take 2-3 hours.
Will I need to buy more than just the belt? Do I absolutely need a new tensioner?
Thanks
Brian Nystrom wrote:

I'm guessing that you're asking because cost is an issue for you. If that's the case you are probably in bigger trouble than you want to be. Like Brian said, valve train damage in an interference engine is predictable when a timing belt breaks. You are likely going to be at a price point where the additional couple of dollars for the tensioner is insignificant.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
hman1324 wrote: