Hyundai Genesis: Rear-wheel drive? What!?

Page 2 of 4
Brian Nystrom wrote:

I haven't seen any power or MPG figures, have you? For a performance oriented car there is no such thing as too much power. And gas-hog is purely subjective.
Matt
Matt Whiting wrote:

Oh puleeze! I'm not going to argue that restrictions should be placed on horsepower or anything like that, but it's long past time that people started being more realistic as to what's really necessary in a car. There is not a single valid argument for having more than 180-200 horsepower in a passenger car. It's one thing if you need a truck to haul or tow huge loads, but in passenger cars, it's simply frivolous and wasteful. If you want a toy, you can get all the performance you want in smaller, lighter cars that actually get decent gas mileage and don't cost a fortune, just ask Lotus.

Hardly. There is no excuse for passenger vehicles that can't get at least 25 mpg on the highway. There's also no excuse for wasting finite resources by driving oversize vehicles with huge engines.
It's long past time that gas guzzler taxes were reintroduced. Perhaps it's time for a horsepower tax, too. Put the money into development of alternative fuel technologies and we'll all be better off.

So if you can get 350 horsepower from an engine that gets 60 mpg, it should be taxed due to excessive horsepower? If you want alternative ideas, don't put a tax on them.

The Brits tax vehicles based on the amount of CO2 emissions regardless of engine size or horsepower
That seems fair.....the more garbage you generate, the more you pay
L.
Leonardo wrote:

That seems stupid. CO2 is very valuable for trees and other plant life. They should pay car owners for creating it!
Matt
wrote in message

The Brits are your example of doing things correctly ? They couldn't win the second world war without our help. They have a medical system where you die before you can get a heart bypass. They have the most miserable teeth except possibly the French, and most importantly ( Drum Roll please ) CO2 is not garbage. There would not be any plant life without it. There is not one single bit of scientific EVIDENCE that CO2 harms the environment. If you have a problem with the generation of CO2 you might want to consider the option of not breathing any more, you do generate lots of CO2 when you exhale. Why are you polluting my nice clean breathable air?

Thanks for enlightening me, especially about the teeth thing. The depth of your insight is most impressive.

I'll do is look at their teeth.... if they are white and straight I'll know they are smart.
L.
wrote in message

As long as they are not engaging in modest sarcasm or satire because you are obviously not attuned to it.
You guys worrying about CO2 had better start worrying about bees. Einstein once said the world could not exist over 4 days without bees, now scientists are saying bees have disappeared on east coast by 70 percent and over 60 percent on west coast...see how many MPG you get without them, and yu're dead!!!
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Show me an engine that will do that and I'll change my tune, but we both know that's never going to happen.
wrote in message

Sure because people like you keep threatening to tax it. Just like the 120 mpg carburetors the oil companies are hiding.

Well, that's a scientifically impossible statement unless fuel octane were 100+ or cars were so light they took less energy to move. There is no way to escape the amount of waste generated by heat from a carbon based internal combustion engine without the assistance of 3rd party regenerative technology (currently in development). It's dumb to tax horsepower but it's also dumb to make cars with obscene amounts of horsepower. Especially in this day and age. The people who drive gas guzzlers have money to pay a lot for their inefficient vehicles so they will never care. They don't see the problem. As long as the auto makers can make huge money off of gas guzzlers and people buy them and waste more fuel driving them, we're all screwed.
Realistically, taxing horsepower is not the best solution since that would heavily impact the construction biz with their trucks and construction equipment.
- Thee Chicago Wolf
Brian Nystrom wrote:

That is only your opinion. Many people drive performance cars for recreation and enjoyment. Tell me all of the things you do for enjoyment, and unless you are the dullest person on earth, I'll bet I can make a good argument why you shouldn't do what you do.

I can argue that there is no excuse for using gasoline at all. We've had bicycles for a long time and feet even longer than that. If we all walked and rode bicycles everywhere, we wouldn't need to burn gasoline at all. So why is your bar set at 25 MPG better than mine set a infinite MPG?
Matt

SEX!!!!!
Man, I hope not!
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

You hope aren't the dullest person on earth? Or you hope that I can't make a good argument why you shouldn't have sex? :-) There are actually many good arguments for the latter, at least as many as there are for not driving a vehicle that gets less than 25 MPG!
Matt

Get a life, man
L.
Matt Whiting wrote:

I used to feel the same way, then I grew up. ;-)
If people want to drive HP cars, fine, let them pay for the damage that their recreation does.

Let's see, there's cycling, sea kayaking, X/C skiing for three. Please tell me how irresponsible they are compared to driving gas-hog vehicles.

Ah yes, when one has no valid rebuttal to an argument, come up with some complete absurdity to try and make the original argumnet look invalid. Come on Matt, you can do better than that...or perhaps not.
Brian Nystrom wrote:

How do you get to the ocean for sea kayaking and the mountains for X/C skiing. If you ride your bike to both carrying your kayak or skies, then you win. If you drive anything that burns petroleum, then you are wasting valuable resources that I need to get to work.

Ah yes, when you have no rebuttal, claim that the argument you can't rebut is absurd. Nice try, but no points. Please play again.
Matt
Matt Whiting wrote:

Changing the subject are we? I never said that I don't drive to enjoy some of my other pursuits, I just do it in a car that gets well over 30 mpg, rather than a gas-hog.

Nice try Matt, doesn't work.
Brian Nystrom wrote:

I think your car is a gas hog. That is the point. There are cars that get 50 MPG so you are wasting nearly twice as much gas as you need to!

Yes, you drive a gas hog and just don't want to admit it. You'd rather blame other people and their vehicles.
Matt