Hyundai Genesis: Rear-wheel drive? What!?

That is only your opinion. Many people drive performance cars for recreation and enjoyment. Tell me all of the things you do for enjoyment, and unless you are the dullest person on earth, I'll bet I can make a good argument why you shouldn't do what you do.

I can argue that there is no excuse for using gasoline at all. We've had bicycles for a long time and feet even longer than that. If we all walked and rode bicycles everywhere, we wouldn't need to burn gasoline at all. So why is your bar set at 25 MPG better than mine set a infinite MPG?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

SEX!!!!!

Man, I hope not!

Reply to
Mike Marlow

You hope aren't the dullest person on earth? Or you hope that I can't make a good argument why you shouldn't have sex? :-) There are actually many good arguments for the latter, at least as many as there are for not driving a vehicle that gets less than 25 MPG!

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Get a life, man

L.

Reply to
Leonardo

The Brits tax vehicles based on the amount of CO2 emissions regardless of engine size or horsepower

That seems fair.....the more garbage you generate, the more you pay

L.

Reply to
Leonardo

Nice try, ain't gonna fly.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Show me an engine that will do that and I'll change my tune, but we both know that's never going to happen.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

I used to feel the same way, then I grew up. ;-)

If people want to drive HP cars, fine, let them pay for the damage that their recreation does.

Let's see, there's cycling, sea kayaking, X/C skiing for three. Please tell me how irresponsible they are compared to driving gas-hog vehicles.

Ah yes, when one has no valid rebuttal to an argument, come up with some complete absurdity to try and make the original argumnet look invalid. Come on Matt, you can do better than that...or perhaps not.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Yes, I have an 02 Sonata. I am unaware of any first generation anything that went over perfectly. Well, perhaps maybe the iPod. I don't think it's short sighted as the early Hyundai's did have their share of problems but again, the operative word is early. 1986 is a long time ago. Care to take the same argument over to Saturns line of cars. They were (are?) riddled with problems in the early generations but the quality seems to have improved in the past few years. I rarely see any pre-2000 Hyundai's on the road and I presume it's because of their poor quality from the early generations. The Chinese have just started seeing if their vehicles would have a market over here but I wonder about the quality control there as compared to our standards. I think they have some hurdles ahead of them and would have to re-tool or be subject to the US quality standards before people would buy them. I'm rambling a bit but remember Fiat in the 80s? Yeah, who else does. Guess what I see on the streets of Chicago every once in a while now? Those micro compact Fiats. Like Hyundai's early mid-80's cars, I'm sure in 20 years, they've straightened out the quality issues. Same probably goes for the Fiats I see now. Cheers.

- Thee Chicago Wolf

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf

Well, that's a scientifically impossible statement unless fuel octane were 100+ or cars were so light they took less energy to move. There is no way to escape the amount of waste generated by heat from a carbon based internal combustion engine without the assistance of 3rd party regenerative technology (currently in development). It's dumb to tax horsepower but it's also dumb to make cars with obscene amounts of horsepower. Especially in this day and age. The people who drive gas guzzlers have money to pay a lot for their inefficient vehicles so they will never care. They don't see the problem. As long as the auto makers can make huge money off of gas guzzlers and people buy them and waste more fuel driving them, we're all screwed.

Realistically, taxing horsepower is not the best solution since that would heavily impact the construction biz with their trucks and construction equipment.

- Thee Chicago Wolf

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf

Sure because people like you keep threatening to tax it. Just like the 120 mpg carburetors the oil companies are hiding.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That seems stupid. CO2 is very valuable for trees and other plant life. They should pay car owners for creating it!

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

How do you get to the ocean for sea kayaking and the mountains for X/C skiing. If you ride your bike to both carrying your kayak or skies, then you win. If you drive anything that burns petroleum, then you are wasting valuable resources that I need to get to work.

Ah yes, when you have no rebuttal, claim that the argument you can't rebut is absurd. Nice try, but no points. Please play again.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Is this all you do for recreation? If I only list three, I'd list camping, cycling and hunting (in my backyard so I don't even have to drive to where I hunt). However, I have more than three and I suspect you do also, but just don't want to list those.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I'm not making any agrument, you made a satement that Chinese cars will fall apart. Sure Saturn had problem, but every car make "used" to. They all have improved greatly and I expect the Chinese will be a few steps ahead of Hyundai, Saturn, Kia, Subaru, etc, when they finally do arrive.

Right, that is why they have many US engineers guiding them. As well as engineers from other car makers of the world. If you take a careful look, China is capable of producing very high quality manufactured parts. They are building parts for GE jet engines as an example. If you want cheap junk, just write the specifications and they will do it. Want high quaity machined parts? They can do that to in increasing numbers every day. Some months ago I read the China has delayed introducing cars to the US because they want to be sure it is going to be good quality.

I'm rambling a bit but remember Fiat in the 80s? Yeah, who else

I also remember the Fiat 128 of the 70's and the Fiat tooling that was sold to make the Yugo in the 80's. IIRC, they were something like $2800 new.

I was hoping to have a Fiat as a rental when I was in Italy two weeks ago. They gave me a Smart ForFor instead. The Fiat is a good looking car these days and I suspect much more reliable than in the past. Even Peugeot has some good looking cars today, but I have no idea of reliability.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The Brits are your example of doing things correctly ? They couldn't win the second world war without our help. They have a medical system where you die before you can get a heart bypass. They have the most miserable teeth except possibly the French, and most importantly ( Drum Roll please ) CO2 is not garbage. There would not be any plant life without it. There is not one single bit of scientific EVIDENCE that CO2 harms the environment. If you have a problem with the generation of CO2 you might want to consider the option of not breathing any more, you do generate lots of CO2 when you exhale. Why are you polluting my nice clean breathable air?

Reply to
Double Tap

Thanks for enlightening me, especially about the teeth thing. The depth of your insight is most impressive.

I'll do is look at their teeth.... if they are white and straight I'll know they are smart.

L.

Reply to
Leonardo

You guys worrying about CO2 had better start worrying about bees. Einstein once said the world could not exist over 4 days without bees, now scientists are saying bees have disappeared on east coast by 70 percent and over 60 percent on west coast...see how many MPG you get without them, and yu're dead!!!

Reply to
Deck

As long as they are not engaging in modest sarcasm or satire because you are obviously not attuned to it.

Reply to
Double Tap

Changing the subject are we? I never said that I don't drive to enjoy some of my other pursuits, I just do it in a car that gets well over 30 mpg, rather than a gas-hog.

Nice try Matt, doesn't work.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom