Hyundai in the news

Page 2 of 2
Brian Nystrom wrote:

I have worked in the computer industry since the 1970s and *am* a luddite. (I drive an AMC Hornet with a factpry AM radio and an underdash 8-track player. I peek in on this newsgroup periodically as the wife has a Sonata.)
As far as XM radio goes, not only would I not be willing to pay a monthly fee for radio, the whole idea of listening to radio programs from outer space coming from some kind of sputnik does not sit well with me. I remember when people who claimed they were doing this would be locked away in rubber rooms.
On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:40:22 GMT, Brian Nystrom

I agree with you but my kid's priorities are quite different. Who'd pay a dolloar song to download music for their IPOD when they could just turn on a broadcast radio? Then there is the content issue. The shock jocks and a lot of the marginal and fringe folks are gong to sattellite as the FCC restrictions are much less stringent.
This would be a turnoff for me. I would never pay to listen to talk radio. It doesn't make any sense to pay for something that would not be used. My daughter is having the same problem is finding a new car that the dealer had not order with XM. There is too many monthly fees nowadays for all the audio and video services.

they're not going to survive. The history of new technologies is awash with "sure fire" companies that didn't make it. Personally, I can't ever see myself paying for radio.
There are ample statistics on the take rates of factory installed XM. We know, for example, that over 60% of people who buy a car that is factory equipped with XM will become subscribers. 40%, which you may be a member of, won't. Not now, at least.
The 60% take rate surely will not hold for Hyundai -- not because of the cars they're in, but because they are going to Standard Equipment rather than Factory Installed Options. But 50% is likely.

I've a lot of people say this until they try it. What most don't understand it that isn't "radio" in the sense that they know it.
Personally, I can't ever see MY self counting something that would make my work and drive time more relaxing out without trying it. But that's just me.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

And what percentage of new cars are sold with XM? That 60% could actually be a relatively small number of people. Let's see how many of them are still subscribers after a year or two.

Dream on. I'll bet that it won't even be half of that.

GM is factory equipping between 20 and 30% of its cars with XM, increasing quarterly. Honda is doing 400,000 units this year.

two.
We have several years history on this. One quarter the churn rate hit 1.6%; but other than that one quarter, XM's churn has consistently been 1.2-1.4%. I don't know what could be clearer.

Well, I'd definitely take that bet. You have no basis whatsoever for your remark; meanwhile, there are a ton of statistics to support my assertion. 50% will be in the ballpark. 40%? 60%? Could be. But 50% won't be far off.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

So, at a 60% subscription rate, that means only 12-18% of people that buy their vehicles actually become XM subscribers at all, let alone stay with it.

Right now, the technology is new and chic. That will change once the early adopters have had their fling with it. The turnover rate will increase, it's just a matter of time.

Considering GM's numbers don't come anywhere near that, I'll stand by my previous statement.

by my previous statement.
WTF are you talking about?
60% of XM equipped GM cars become XM subscribers. I thought I had said that already.
There is no end to this argument. Let's just agree to disagree and see where we are a couple years down the road.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Apparently you are mathematically challenged. If only 20-30% of GM cars are purchased with XM (presumably because only that number want it) and only 60% of those become subscribers, then only 12-18% of GM buyers become XM subscribers. The fact that Hyundai is giving XM away does not mean that their overall subscription rate will be any higher.

cars are purchased with XM (presumably because only that number want it) and only 60% of those become subscribers, then only 12-18% of GM buyers become XM subscribers. The fact that Hyundai is giving XM away does not mean that their overall subscription rate will be any higher.
If you can't see how screwed up your logic is on this, I don't think I can help you. Totally convoluted reasoning.
The "take rate" (60%) is based on the number of units in which XM is factory installed. NOT the number of vehicles manufacturered. One could reasonably argue that the take rate will decline somewhat, maybe to 50%. But your assertion is absurd.
YOU are calling someone else "mathematically challenged"??? LMAO.

You totally miss the point. I think you'll just need to wait and see for yourself.
Expect an Hyundai take rate in the 50-60% range.
well my 2 cents ... ill pay for a head unit but will prolly never pay for radio unless the FCC dont bother with censorship due to "foul" language ... and even then i would find myself listening to cd's the majority of the time finding new music to listen too through friends (like xm has a real punk station)
also now lots of head untits you can purchase support .wma audio files which puts about 400 normal sized songs onto one cd ( about 1500 songs and thats if im remembering the numbers correctly )
so i would rather see .mp3 and .wma capabilities than xm on a vehicle
Lame
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@despammed.com wrote:

the great WHINE strikes again
everyone else pays the $12 a month, you special or something?
-- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 1105 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!
hey man ... i noticed your spamfighter add-in ... have you tried mozilla mail? it uses a very good "learning" spam filter, within in a month it catches some 99.9% of spam. i have been using it for a year now and havent seen about 10 messages i had to mark as spam in 10 months ...
http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/ <-- mail client only http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/ <-- whole product suite
using it for web browsing (took some gettin used too) has virtually eliminated spyware/adware. now instead of a daily scan for that junk i can scan once a month and still only have a few tracking cookies (have to use IE for some sites still )
later Lame