Hyundai Mileage

Page 1 of 2
I plan on purchasing a new Sonata (my first Hyundai) and am having trouble deciding on the four or six cylinder engine.
Another forum had posts from six cylinder owners who reported dismal
mileage. One said he averaged 19 mpg!
Is lousy mileage is typical for the six? How does it compare with the four?
Thanks for your help.
19 mpg is not dismal fuel economy for a 3.3L six cylinder engine. It'd be my recommendation that if this is unacceptable, you should not even consider a car with more than four cylinders.

four?
We've put about 15.5K miles on my wife's '06 Sonata LX V6 since last October. With a pretty consistent mix of about 80% city/burb driving and 20% highway miles. For the first 7K our mileage stayed at a constant 19.1 avg. After 7K it moved a couple of decimal points a week to an average today that runs about 23.2 for our driving. I have had single trip highway averages approaching 28.5, but nothing near the advertised 30 hwy. Overall I would have liked to see better numbers in fuel economy, but with the V6 in most any car, you have to give up something in the economy side and must decide if the extra performance (perceived or real) is worth the loss of mpg. I get a consistent 26.5 out of *my* 7 year old Honda Accord EXL/V6/AT under similar driving conditions....I say *my* Accord because *I* was the one that was supposed to get the Sonata as a new company car for client meetings, etc.......but that only lasted until *she* laid eyes on *my* car at delivery :~)
Keith
I can very well see where you are coming from Keith *I* was also supposed to get a Sonata.. Another of the pittfall's of marriage eh? Anyways back to the OP's question. Don't buy the car if you are looking for milleage like the EPA figures. I have been using a V6 GLS for the past 2 months and have got an avg of 22.6 once on a trip which involved 60% highway. Otherwise with regular city use (i.e. 95% city/suburb) I get around 18 to 20. A buddy of mine liked my car so much that he also picked one up, & he is getting similar figures. One thing I would like to say is the AC is always on full. What with the heat over the past few weeks I have been wondering if I have to add a second AC if it where possible.
Which reminds me.. I have read in this same group that the Sonata AC blows ice! Well I am not so sure about that! I used to get much cooler air from a 93 Camry we traded in. But on the other hand the car is a joy to drive around... I personaly feel there is a percievable diffrence in power of the V6 & the 4 cylinder. KW wrote:

After 2000 miles, my 6 is holding steady at an indicated 21.x average MPG. Got it above 22 once during a sort of long highway trip.
I will be taking longer trip later in the month -to the Sonata factory of all places- so that should show interesting highway numbers.
I have noticed almost no difference in the mileage with the A/C or on off (and damn, it's hot: I am willing to spend some gas for the comfort!), and certainly no drop in perceived engine performance with it on or off. Excellent behavior compared to my old Toyota where the A/C would make the fuel level visibly drop and the engine performance fall off a cliff.
Took one of my friends on a ride in the Sonata last week. He said his 4cy 05 Civic gets better mileage but he can't use the A/C and still accelerate. He was also very impressed with how quiet and speedy the Sonata was.
Vineeth wrote:

I'm one of the few who have also commented on the AC. I live in PA where we only need AC about 3 months of the year, but I still find it feeble. It cools OK if the OAT is less than about 85, but when it hit 100 last week, it was pathetic. I drove my Chevy truck to work the two days when it was at or near 100. That thing will cool the cabin within 10 minutes even on the lowest fan speed. I have to start raising the temperature control even with 100 outside after about 10-15 minutes (about halfway to work for me). My Sonata can remain on full cold with the fan on 3 all the way to work when it is above 90 and I'm still not too cool.
I plan to take it in and have it checked when I get a chance, however, I checked it myself with a thermometer and it seemed to meet the specs for exit temperature at the vents. I think it just doesn't have enough capacity (air temperature at the outlets doesn't equate to heat removal as temperature and heat aren't the same) to handle the size of the cabin. I also have the low-end model which lacks the special window treatment available on the higher end models and this may be the reason that those with the V-6s haven't complained about the AC.
Matt
Matt Whiting wrote:

I have the V6 with the so called window treatment & if that is a help I can't imagine what it would be without it. I actually checked my window sticker since I still had it to verify if I had the solar control glass. In fact I wanted to ask here whether it was legal & possible to stick darker sun control film on the windows??
Any car audio shop should be able to tint the windows or give you some names to call.
Planning on doing the same thing to my car. The AC works but not when it's not on, and I got the black paint. So it does get hot in there.
I think darker windows would look better anyway.
Vineeth wrote:

My 06 Sonata v-6 LX. I had windows tinted next day after I bought it because I drive through southern Deserts couple of times a year. Cal, Nmex Ariz Tex. never had any trouble with AC. last trip temp was over 100 every day until I got close to San Diego. Average about 17MPH city and 26MPG highway
PMDR wrote:

Thanks PMDR. I guess I'll get it done asap. Also I had been on a trip to South Virginia from here in DC over the last 3 days and was pleasantly surprised when I averaged 32.5 MPG with my V6. I know it was 99% highway with only 2 rest area stops and cruise control between 60~70, still it was quite nice to see such figures on the trip computer...
Hi Matt,
I live in Georgia where it has also been very hot for several weeks. I have the 4 cyl like you and mine cools very well. You should really take it in and have them redo the AC. Usually, they have to dump the charge and start from scratch with a new charge to ensure the correct amount goes in.
As far as mileage, mine is holding on an indicated 25.5 with about 80% city or town driving. On trips back to Pa, my hometown, we get 32. The 4 puts out plenty of power to stay out of trouble and pass on the two lane roads around here. I honestly don't see any reason to get the V6. This comes from a guy who has had 427 1969 vettes, 390 Cougars, Porsche's, and plenty of other 'muscle'. It's just not necessary anymore with $3 gas. It's no fun to drive anymore with all the nuts on the roads and cops hungry to fill the coffers.

I would just go with the 4-cyl or wait for 2007 models.. Considering my 2002 Sonata 6-cyl averages 22-24 MPG and is 170HP, the 2006 4-cyl is 160HP and gets better mileage than me for 10HP less.
If I had to choose between the 6-cyl and 4-cyl TODAY, I would go with the 4-cyl. It gets 24/33MPG.
- Thee Chicago Wolf
If you're getting 22-24 out of your '02 V6, you should expect similar or slightly better numbers out of a new 3.3 V6.
Individual fuel economy has a great amount to do with driving habits and situations. I doubt most people get fuel economy a couple mpg lower than you do out of the same car.

What made an even bigger difference on my highway MPG were better tires than the OEM. I'm riding on Yokohama Avid H4S and they are a HUGE improvement. I once got 525 miles out of a full tank (16.5 Gal) before I almost ran dry. Never got anywhere near that on my old tires.
- Thee Chicago Wolf
Thee Chicago Wolf wrote:

Very unlikely that the tires made a HUGE difference or even a significant difference. Most likely you are comparing an apple trip to orange trips and attributing the difference to the tires when other variables are more likely at play.
Matt

Perhaps, but I kept my controls the same each time. I go to SW Wisconsin (200+ miles (one way) from my location, Chicago) at least 4 times a year and most of the roads out there are 55mph so there isn't much room for stop and go acceleration affecting my numbers. No jack-rabbit starts or overdrive to pass people either.
I did my tests with cruise control @ 65-70mph and have found that the Yokohamas yield me *slightly* better mileage than my OEMs. With the OEMs I was getting right around 500-505 miles to a full tank. No apple or orange trips here since the conditions of the drive were exactly the same. Generally, I drive at night when there's less traffic or after the morning rush hour. The conditions are nearly the same every time so my numbers are consistent.
With my OEMs, I would average 78-82mpg to a 1/4 tank (city). With my Yokos I am getting around 84-86. I've been driving the same route to work for 2 years and nothing has changed between point A and point B.
I've put around 14k on my Yokohama's from mid June '05 to present and have been keeping a fairly close eye on the before and after. *My* experience is that I am getting a little better mileage out of them.
cheers,
- Thee Chicago Wolf
Thee Chicago Wolf wrote:

A slight difference is a lot less than a HUGE difference. :-)
Are you sure they are the exact same diameter as the OEM tires. A change in diameter can also have an effect on computed mileage.
Matt

Heh, well..some difference is better than none. I'd have to find out the diameter difference. I have heard that wider diameter tires can make a vehicle go faster than the speedometer is reading. I would like to see some scientific evidence to support it though.
- Thee Chicago Wolf
Thee Chicago Wolf wrote:

If you change the diameter of the tires you should also change the aspect ratio. (essentially the height, though the techs can chime in here with the details) This keeps the speedometer/odometer at least close to accurate.
For instance, if you have 205/60/16 tires and switch to wider 215 diameter tires, you should also reduce the ratio to 55-series to get the closest match for your speedometer/odometer. In that case the speedo will read slightly high, (it will read 60.8 mph when you are going 60), but it will be as close as you can get without changing wheel sizes.
If you switch to 215/60/16, which is a common size and in fact the OE size for the current-generation Sonata---i.e. you switch to a wider tire but do not change the aspect ratio---you will throw off your speedo/odo. In this case it's not a huge difference---about 1.8%---but it's still something.
If you switch from OE 205/60/16 to 215/60/16, your speedomenter will read 58.9 mph when you are actually going 60 mph. That's per the online tire size calculator I found here.: http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit
Also per reviews I've read on tirerack, some tires yield slightly better fuel economy than others, even if both are brand new and exactly the same size and type. A rough rule of thumb seems to be that tires that provide maximum wet/snow traction, even all-season ones, will yield slightly lower fuel economy. I don't pretend to have expert insight on that.
Just something to think about.
Regards, Eric M
Eric wrote:

I think you meant width above rather than diameter. If you change the diameter, your speedometer/odometer will read the wrong value no matter what the aspect ratio is as changing that will only change the width given that you've already changed, and thus fixed, the diameter.
Matt