Hyundai oil filters

What are folks paying for Hyundai oil filters? I just bought the first one for my 06 Sonata (spin-on for the 4 cylinder) and the dealer price is $9.95. I think someone mentioned here getting a case mail order. What was the price for that?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I'm using Fram filters from Aid Auto stores.

What are folks paying for Hyundai oil filters? I just bought the first one for my 06 Sonata (spin-on for the 4 cylinder) and the dealer price is $9.95. I think someone mentioned here getting a case mail order. What was the price for that?

Matt

Reply to
Joel Willstein

Matt, do a seach in Google for Hyundai Performance and you should, ( I did but can remeber where ) find a place that was selling them for $4.95 !!! a case ( of 12 ) was like $46.00 with free shipping it was within the 1st 4 or

5 listings in Google

Tunez

Reply to
Tunez

Run, don't walk away from Fram filters. They are about the lowest quality oil filter currently on the market. There are a couple of web sites that show filters cut open and you can easily see how inferior Frams are these days. It is a shame because 20 years ago, they were one of the best available.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I found

but all I found there for filters were K&N brand that cost the same $10 as the OEM filter at the dealer.

Can you post the URL for the site you purchased from?

Thanks, Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Agreed, Fram is junk! They're apparently the filter that prompted Hyundai's TSB about using aftermarket filter in the Elantra. Purolator, Wix and Napa filters are good quality and work well.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

I Googled for half an hour last night and could not find genuine Hyundai filters for sale online. I found Bosch, something like NPN, and one grand called "genuine", but it didn't look in the picture even close to the real Hyundai filter I bought yesterday. Nice play on words there for folks searching for "genuine" Hyundai filters.

I do see that Napa has filters for the Hyundai 4 cylinder, and their top of the line Gold filter is still only 2/3rds the cost of the Hyundai filter.

I'm also surprised at how small the Hyundai filter is. I think this is the smallest filter I've had on a car since the 79 Chevette I owned. It is only slightly larger than the cartridge filter my 1200cc Kawasaki Voyager motorcycle used.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Believe it or not, every Hyundai vehicle sold in the US up until the new Sonata has used that same little filter. I've been using Purolator Pure One filters and they work fine.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

All my Subaru's use the same filter....all the 2.2s and 2.5s...

Reply to
Jim L

Matt I havnt bought any filters yet I was just looking but here is the 1st site I found them

I only looked for filters for my XG350L but I assume they carry filters for all Hyundais ..AGAIN I looked on google for HYUNDAI PERMANCE as I mentioned before and it was the SECOND SITE on the page

Tunez

Reply to
Tunez

I found this site and many others like it, but these aren't Hyundai OEM filters, they are aftermarket filters that fit Hyundais. I was looking to buy the factory filters online. Thanks anyway.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Matt Whiting wrote in news:bytHf.6058$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.epix.net:

Try here:

I think they are genuine.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

"Sorry, no parts found" For a 2006 V6 kinda kills their claim of "If you can drive it, we have it!"

Reply to
Bob

Gentlemen, I have heard this rant ad nauseum in various posts on this site.

And when it comes to Fram's basic "orange" filter, you may have some valid points about some of what is inside.

But the fact is that these filters, re-badged, are used by as many quick oil changes facilities as any brand used in the U.S. Surely, these organizations would not hang themselves out to dry if they were truly that bad. And carmakers would be quick to put it out a "warranty void" on this filter if they felt like these were a problem (yes, they can and will do that).

To those who are used to using Fram (or even if you aren't), they have a filter that has actually out-tested one of the darling filters on this site, the Purolater "Pure One." It is called the Fram Tough Guard, it comes in a gray box, and costs anywhere from $5-7 instead of the orange's $3 or so.

All the things you two say are lacking in Frams are in this filter, from the sythetic media, to the improved drain-back valve and screen, to the quality of the outer O-ring. This is the filter I use, and I use it because it is the best one out there, bar none.

It also has the easy-grab end that the Purolater, Wix, and all the others don't, the only thing that allows me to remove filters on my car without renting Gumby for an hour.

Fram is on the cutting edge with other filters being designed for different applications and specified uses (read also, higher price).

As for the other brands, both I and my best friend (both of us in our 40's), have had only one oil-related failure in our long string of owned cars. Both were filter related. Mine was a Purolater, his was a Wix. We both now know better.

You are entitled to your opinion, but please do not equate a brand that has survived for decades by making quality products with the equivalent of dumping sugar in one's gas tank.

Tom Wenndt

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

I can't say they aren't the real McCoy, but they are quite different from the real Hyundai filter I have in my hand. A few of the obvious differences:

  1. These have paint sprayed on part of the base, but my Hyundai filter has a painted canister, but the base, including the crimped rim, is completely unpainted and appears to be made of stainless steel as it has no rust on it.
  2. This filter has a cross hair in a circle mark on it that isn't on my Hyundai filter.
  3. This filter appears to be black rather than blue.

  1. This filter has completely different writing on it. For example, it says to tighten 3/4 turn, whereas the real filter says 4/5 turn. Also, the writing on the Hyundai filter has a box around it, and this one doesn't.

  2. This filter has a logo that appears like two mountain peaks and seems to start with the letter F. The Hyundai filter has the Hyundai logo on top with the Kia logo underneath.

  1. The Hyundai filter has a plastic film glued over the business end of the filter to keep out contamination and this filter has none.

Maybe this is just an older style, but never having seen an older Hyunday filter, I just can't say. This is the one that I found that I thought was using the brand name of "genuine" to lure the unsuspecting. Maybe I'm wrong, but this just doesn't seem to me to pass the smell test.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Yes, I was referring to the basic Fram filter.

I tend to not use anything used by a quick change place. That "endorsement" alone will keep me away.

Where is that test? I've seen only a few filter tests of any substance, and although the Tough Guard is decidely better than the basic Fram, I've never seen it place more than than in the lower part of the upper third of the performance grid. Every test I've seen places the Mobil 1 filter at the top by a long shot, but then it is also at the top price-wise by an equal margin.

Baloney. It isn't even close to the Mobil 1 filter. It still uses a cardboard end cap last I knew.

I haven't changed mine yet, but my other cars have easy access for a filter wrench. If the Hyundai doesn't, that could be a problem.

Such as?

I'm well into my 40's also and have never had an oil filter related failure. I did use Fram's on my 89 Acclaim until someone told me that the lifter noise I heard at startup was due to the crappy anti-drainback valve. I switched to AC filters and the noise went away completely. I haven't used a Fram in the 15 years since then.

I've used ACs as they are a good filter at a very good price, at least they were when Wal-Mart still sold them. Now that they are only available at GM dealers, the price isn't that great anymore, however, I was able to buy a case of them online for about $4 each and that will probably last me until I'm ready to retire the minivan.

Yes, we are all entitled to our opinions. I don't equate using Fram filters to dumping sugar in the tank, but using the basic Fram filter isn't far above that. There are too many other good filters on the market for anyone to use a basic Fram. And for the price of a Tough Guard, you can get better alternatives.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I have to agree to disagree. 1997 Tiburon, 258,000 MILES, all on FRAM orange filters. The engine has NOT required ANY internal work.

Reply to
Dan

Good for you. That doesn't mean that they aren't built like crap, which has been well documented. Their filters recently prompted a TSB from Hyundai about problems with using aftermarket filters (they didn't name Fram in the TSB, but that's the problem filter they elude to). Ignore the evidence and do whatever you like but, but I won't use them in my car.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Not sure if these are for the '06 Sonata, but here is the site.

1

Thank you! The picture isn't the best, but these look to be the real McCoy. And for about half the price at the dealer.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting