Hyundai paint

My first knowledge of Hyundai was the small Excel that was first brought into the USA. After a few years, most had spots of primer showing through on the roof and hood. Some had more bare spots than paint.
Today was the first nice weekend day in months so my grandson and I decided to wash our cars. After washing, I started waxing my Dark Cherry Sonata. The sun was low, but right and the metallic paint was just sparkling. Darker than the Candy Apple Red paint jobs of years ago, I really like this red, not a color I'd normally buy on a car. . I really had to admire the quality of the paint. It is better than any car I've owned; only 15 months old, I hope I can still say the same thing in a few more years.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

When the US Gov't first mandated low voc paints the paint mfg's could not make a good paint. It took them years to figure it out.
My 2007 Dark Cherry Red Sonata still looks great.

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

My Blue 2006 is holding up reasonably well, but the door handle trim pieces have oxidized severely and are now much darker and duller than the body paint.
Matt

I wonder if they are painted or molded in the color, thus the difference over time.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Beats me. Hyundaitech???
Matt

To the best of my recollection from doing the door handle recalls, they're painted.

Hyundaitech, what is the best way to improve the appearance of the door handles on 2005 Sonata ?? Mine have been getting progressively worse since the car was about 18 months old. Right now they look pretty bad !! Can body shops paint them and do a nice job - without taking the doors apart ?? Thanks, -Ogato24

They can be taped off and repainted, but you won't get quite as nice a job as if they're removed from the car for painting. At least that's my opinion.
On 4/9/2011 11:53 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That reminds me of the first Hondas that came over. After 3-4 years there were more holes than metal. Asian car makers, as well as US have come a long way.