Hyundai preformance on icy raods

Page 4 of 4  
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:


Well, studded tires help a lot on ice. :-) Although, I haven't felt the need for studs since the 70s.
Matt
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote in message

Studded tires have been banned in some states due to the damage they do to roads. I know Michigan banned them. In any case I never got them and never really needed them there.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
DonC wrote:

All true, but the fact remains that the statement about "no matter what tire is on it" is simply false.
Matt
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Matt Whiting wrote:

That's true, but it's a case of "the pot calling the kettle black" considering some of the blatantly false and/or misleading statements you've made in this thread.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Brian Nystrom wrote:

I have not made a single false or misleading statement.
Matt
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Matt Whiting wrote:

If you believe that, you're kidding yourself. Go back and read the nonsense you've written.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Brian Nystrom wrote:

Point out even one false or misleading statement I have made.
Matt
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Matt Whiting wrote:

I've already pointed out numerous times that your blanket claim that winter tires wear faster is blatantly false. You also asserted that they were uncomfortably noisy, which is also false or at least misleading, as you were equating them to your truck tires, which are another animal entirely. You have fabricated statements and attributed them to me at least twice. I could go on, but I'm not going to waste my time, as it's evident that that you're willing to lie just to make a point and you have no credibility.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Brian Nystrom wrote:

I posted references that state that winter tires wear more rapidly than ASRs. Where is your reference that they don't?
I said they were noisy on my truck and they are and I can find references to noise as well, but since you don't accept any facts that conflict with your opinion, I'm done doing your homework for you.
Matt
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Once this contest is over, what happens to all the urine it generated? Yellow ice?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

It's a little too warm for that where I am at the moment. ;-)
While it's been fun watching Matt flounder around, I've wasted way too many keystokes on this silliness and this thread stopped being useful for anything other than entertainment long ago. I've made my points and I'm done with it. Whoever is still around can breathe a sigh of relief. :-)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

S I G H ...........................
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Brian Nystrom wrote:

Yes, I've let you have the last word and will not respond to your last round of nonsense.
Matt
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Yup - we seem to cover this patch of ground at least once per winter. I'm fine with the idea that Brian and I disagree on the value of snow's. He likes them and feels they add something, and I haven't used a pair in decades. I live in Central NY, in the snow belt east of Lake Ontario. We get between 200-300 inches of snow per year, so we're in the category of severe winter weather locations.

I too have found some all-season to be pure garbage, but my experience is that those are more the touring tires. Bad tread patterns. Really poor sipe designs. That said, there are many other all season tires out there that have very good tread design and that provide absolutely positive winter driving control.

Again, our experiences are similar Matt. As you may recall, my plow truck is a 94 Silverado. I have a set of Dunlop M&S on it and they are on it year round. Never put a chain on my tires ever.

I can't count the number of times I've had to plow my way through unplowed roads (the one I live on), or up my driveway (300 ft+) with plow wash piled up at the mouth of the driveway, and had snow pushing up over my hood as I went. No exaggeration. Likewise, I cannot recall the last time I had to be pulled out of anything, dug out of anything or pushed out of anything, in my car. A good set of all season tires will chew through anything you put under them, and as you say, the highway stuff is a reflection of both a good tread design in an all season tire, and driving technique.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

All these messages about driving the Hyundai on ice and snow brought to mind an entry in the Owner's manual for my 200- Sonata GLS v6.
It clearly states "Tire chains should not be used on P205/60/ R15 tires. With these tires there is not sufficient clearance for chains installation between the tires and other vehicle components and damage may result"
Old_Timer
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I just want to stick my two cents in. I am picky about my tires and drive about 25000 miles per year which is mostly drive back and forth to work in all kinds of lousy weather. Snow, Rain, Ice etc. and have found that Performance All Seasons are the way to go. They perform much better in the wet and as far as I can tell in the snow. The original tires that come on most new cars are junk, IE Michelin MXV4 - plane like no ones business. I currently have Michelin Exalta A/Ss which I am quite happy with. BTW the BF Goodrich Traction TA are not bad either. Check out the user reviews on various type of tires at www.tirerack.com
For the Record my previous car was a 92 Accord and went thru many sets / brands of tires and was never completely happy. My Tib feels much more stable in lousy conditions than the accord ever did. ME
<Old_Timer> wrote in message > wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
DaToteman wrote:

FWIW, I'm perfectly happy with ASRs as three season tires, which is really what they are. If I was driving as aggressively as I once did, I'd want something stickier, but these days I'd rather not sacrifice wet weather safety for dry weather performance.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Reading through this entire thread of testosterone has at least tought me one lesson: Brian, you are not comprehending what people are saying here. NO ONE SO FAR has disputed the fact that snow tires are better in snow and ice. All everyone is saying is that they don't need them.
I work for a utility company and I HAVE to get to work in the worst conditions. I've also never had a problem driving in snow and ice that was below the front air dam on any car I have owned.
The biggest problem in these conditions is avoiding the idiots that don't know how to drive in the snow and ice.
The only time I have ever needed anything more than a good ASR was in 1992, when here in NJ we were encrusted in ice for several weeks. I went out and got some studded snows (on my companies dime I might add) and they helped me out tremendously. That was the only time I've ever NEEDED anything like that.
In the blizzard of 1996, I drove my car through 36" of fresh white powder in the Princeton, NJ, area. I was actually surprised I made it, but it went well. All on ASR's.
What exactly do you do in the snow and ice to need snow tires? I mean, I am a fairly assertive driver most of the time and there is nothing I can't do in the snow.
Just last week we had 6" (a surprise) of the white stuff and I was driving 50-55 MPH on the highway, easily passing many SUV's in the snow-packed left lane. Do you need to go faster than that in the snow???
Eric
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Eric G. wrote:

You have summed up Brian pretty well. He reads what we write, but then claims we have made an argument we haven't made simply because he refuses to accept what we actually wrote. And I've posted several references supporting my position and he's posted none supporting his ... mainly because there is no data that supports his claim that everyone needs winter tires.
And he refuses to take his own argument to its logical conclusion which is that he should have both winter tires AND AWD if he is really concerned about the best possible winter performance.
Matt
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.