Hyundai Tech - How do you replace the center brake light bulb?

Trying to figure out how to get access to the center mounted brake light bulb on a 2006-2007 Sonata. I see a connector under the rear shelf in the trunk area but the socket with the bulb appears to be inaccessable from underneath.

How do you get access to the 921 style bulb???

HELP!

Reply to
cableguy3

Does anybody know how to access this bulb???

Thanks!

Reply to
cableguy3

Sorry for taking so long. You can try to pull up the lamp far enough to get to the socket with a pair of pliers. I haven't done this myself, but saw another tech fighting with it. You may need to remove the package shelf to access.

But it definitely begs the question: why would they put an access hole under the connector and not the bulb?!?

Reply to
hyundaitech

It is shows on the

website. If you don't have an account, open one. Valuable information there. 1.. Disconnect the negative(-) battery terminal. 2.. Open the trunk lid and then disconnect the connector of high mounted stop lamp. 3.. Remove the package tray (Refer to the Body group-package tray). 4.. Replace the bulb(A) from the package tray.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks to both you and Ed. Not clear on what you mean by pulling up the lamp far enough to get to the socket with pliers. I can touch the socket with my fingers through the connector hole but no way in you know what could you ever unscrew it to get it out. I just find it hard to believe that you have to remove the entire package tray just to get to a light bulb when they could have easily provided access to the bulb from inside the trunk. Sometimes engineers baffle me as we're talking about a serviceable item like a light bulb.

Reply to
cableguy3

SAWZALL ! ! !

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

One word - CUTTING TORCHES!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Mike Marlow

That's two words.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Are you sure? It always comes out of my mouth as one word.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

If its a 2006, should be under waranty so take it to the dealer and watch them while they do it.

Pat

cableguy3 wrote:

Reply to
komobu

Bulbs (except the headlight bulbs) are 1 year/12,000 miles. It's quite possible that the warranty has expired on this bulb.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Bulbs not burned out. I am replacing it with an LED bulb and installing a brake light strobe unit to flash the center brake light for 5 seconds before going solid. Excellent safety feature...already installed it on the wife's Honda Odyssey and it's awesome.

Thanks for the "cutting torch" and "sawzall" advice. I think I'll just stick to the "Jaws of Life" the volunteer fire company is allowing me to borrow:)

Reply to
cableguy3