HYUNDAI-TECH : Whats your take on using oil filters with no bypass valve for maximum filtering ?

I understand why they put a bypass valve in oil filters...in case it gets p lugged up by the Consumer keeping it too long before changing. But, what ab out the Owner who is anal on oil changes and oil filter changes (ie : every 3,000 miles) way before the oil filter becomes plugged in the interest of having ALL the oil filtered ALL the time ? Further, the car is used in a tropical climate where it seldom gets below 40 f., 0w30 Mobil One is use d, and the car is allowed to warm up for a couple minutes before driving aw ay under gentle acceleration until fully warmed up .

Im considering using deluxe Racing Filters which have no bypass valve and c ost approx. $16-18 each. Id like maximum filtering for my engine .

Would appreciate your thoughts on this issue. Thanks.

Reply to
ilbebauck

plugged up by the Consumer keeping it too long before changing. But, what about the Owner who is anal on oil changes and oil filter changes (ie : eve ry 3,000 miles) way before the oil filter becomes plugged in the interest of having ALL the oil filtered ALL the time ? Further, the car is used in a tropical climate where it seldom gets below 40 f., 0w30 Mobil One is u sed, and the car is allowed to warm up for a couple minutes before driving away under gentle acceleration until fully warmed up .

cost approx. $16-18 each. Id like maximum filtering for my engine .

I'd want to know the specs., including materials. In most cases, racing fi lters need only to last a short period of time, so they may not be suitable for normal usage. Think about all the things that could go wrong, includi ng too much oil pressure pre-filter and too little post-filter. IMO, there 's little reason to stray from something we know works.

Reply to
hyundaitech

If you are changing Mobil One at 3000 miles, you are beyond anal. It is probably recommended to change at 15,000 miles. There is really no benefit to change at 3k aside from wasting money and resources.

Use any quality filter from the major manufacturers.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

plugged up by the Consumer keeping it too long before changing. But, what about the Owner who is anal on oil changes and oil filter changes (ie : eve ry 3,000 miles) way before the oil filter becomes plugged in the interest of having ALL the oil filtered ALL the time ? Further, the car is used in a tropical climate where it seldom gets below 40 f., 0w30 Mobil One is u sed, and the car is allowed to warm up for a couple minutes before driving away under gentle acceleration until fully warmed up .

cost approx. $16-18 each. Id like maximum filtering for my engine .

Fram PH6941 95% efficient. Ive installed it and its working out fine. No l eaks, no noises, I let it warm up an extra minute in the morning before dri ving away slowly not going over 2000 rpms . Oil light goes out almost immed iately upon startup . Here it is :

ilbebauck

I notice they give no information about the filter media. Could be window screen in there. You may get better filtering with a stock filter.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

plugged up by the Consumer keeping it too long before changing. But, what about the Owner who is anal on oil changes and oil filter changes (ie : eve ry 3,000 miles) way before the oil filter becomes plugged in the interest of having ALL the oil filtered ALL the time ? Further, the car is used in a tropical climate where it seldom gets below 40 f., 0w30 Mobil One is u sed, and the car is allowed to warm up for a couple minutes before driving away under gentle acceleration until fully warmed up .

cost approx. $16-18 each. Id like maximum filtering for my engine .

Here is whats inside :

il-filter.aspx

Reply to
ilbebauck

You don't understand all of the reasons. Another reason is thick oil during cold starts. Cold oil will not move through the filter media easily and this will result in much lower than normal oil flow during a cold start. And this is when the engine needs the oil the most. The bypass valve lets oil get to the engine until the oil is warmed enough to flow easily through the filter.

Reply to
Voyager

plugged up by the Consumer keeping it too long before changing. But, what about the Owner who is anal on oil changes and oil filter changes (ie : eve ry 3,000 miles) way before the oil filter becomes plugged in the interest of having ALL the oil filtered ALL the time ? Further, the car is used in a tropical climate where it seldom gets below 40 f., 0w30 Mobil One is u sed, and the car is allowed to warm up for a couple minutes before driving away under gentle acceleration until fully warmed up .

cost approx. $16-18 each. Id like maximum filtering for my engine .

Reply to
ilbebauck

Came in from changing the oil on my 1970 VW that has no oil filter bar a washable screen that will pick up bits of pistons etc and read comments !. Seemed such a contrast. Original engine and auto at ~ 500000 miles. Good quality and frequent oil changes are the clue I think. My 2.0 litre diesel Sonata though with its 7 litres synthetic oil and filter makes that an expensive precaution.

I do understand the reas> I understand why they put a bypass valve in oil filters...in case it gets

Reply to
John